First attempt At Grado Cups
Nov 7, 2012 at 10:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

7keys

Headphoneus Supremus
I’ve have been wanting to make myself sometone-wood cups for my Magnum drivers so I bought myself a wood lathe. I’ve been playing around with it the last couple of days with wood I find in the neighborhood. I don’t want to buy any tone wood until I feel comfortable using the lathe.

One problem I seem to be having is the wood not always coming off smoothly, sometimes it rips small chunks of wood and leaves holes in the wood, other times it scrapes the wood leaving a jagged mess. I’m not sure if it’s the wood I’m using or the tools.
It might also be the way I’m mounting the wood onto the lathe. I’m wondering if mounting it on the spindle is the best way to go about it?
I would appreciate any help offered.

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #2 of 7
I'm no expert with wood (far from it in fact), so i'm open to being corrected. Also, i don't have a wood lathe, so i'm extrapolating experience from the metal hobby lathe i used for mine. If it's just random soft wood then i would imagine it might tear up, especially if it's got wet. I did a test with some old crappy wood and it didn't hold together so well. See if you can find a joinery shop and get some off cuts of any hardwood. As for mounting, if you're going to spindle mount then i would suggest you use a longer piece of wood and make enough round wood for half a dozen cups, then mark out and cut into the right size for singles. Leave some waste wood at either end, you don't want to be working that close to the edge. To finish, i would look into a chuck, since that will be able to grip from the inside (or outside) of the cup allowing you to work on the end.

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #3 of 7
Hmm,there was supposed to be paragraphs in that last post, oh well. One other thought, you might have an easier time of it with the rest closer to the wood, which you would be able to do with a longer chunk of wood in between the spindles, and also with a chuck.

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #4 of 7
this too might help

http://headfonics.com/2011/07/grado-diy-how-to-get-a-perfect-woody/

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
I'm no expert with wood (far from it in fact), so i'm open to being corrected. Also, i don't have a wood lathe, so i'm extrapolating experience from the metal hobby lathe i used for mine. If it's just random soft wood then i would imagine it might tear up, especially if it's got wet. I did a test with some old crappy wood and it didn't hold together so well. See if you can find a joinery shop and get some off cuts of any hardwood. As for mounting, if you're going to spindle mount then i would suggest you use a longer piece of wood and make enough round wood for half a dozen cups, then mark out and cut into the right size for singles. Leave some waste wood at either end, you don't want to be working that close to the edge. To finish, i would look into a chuck, since that will be able to grip from the inside (or outside) of the cup allowing you to work on the end.

Thanks, I took your advice and moved the tool rest closer to the wood and there is a huge improvement but still small tearing going on but I feel like I’m making some progress.  I’ll have to try different kinds of wood tomorrow.

Went out and bought the book “Everything you need to know about securing wood on your lathe”. Spindle turning will have to do for now until I decide if I want to continue in this hobby……chucks are not cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back