First and only DAC
Feb 16, 2012 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mincemeat

New Head-Fier
This is the only DAC I plan on getting- I don't plan on upgrading it unless something new has lots of features to offer at a reasonable price. Even if I do, it won't be for a quite a while. I'll be using it with LCD-2s and some passive monitors, not that it really matters.

Whatever DAC I end up choosing, it has to have at least two selectable S/PDIF inputs (preferably one coax and one TOSLINK). I'd like to be as neutral as possible- no rolled off highs.

I'd also like it to be used as a preamp, so volume controls and a superior analog output stage is required. However, if nothing fits the price, it's not essential; It would be great to have, but can be omitted if required.

Other features that I would find useful, but are not required:
  1. Balanced XLR out
  2. Digital out
  3. Analog input
  4. Driverless USB input
  5. More coax/TOSLINK inputs
  6. Remote (this would be very nice, but still not required)
  7. Any other bells and whistles that I can't think of at the moment

I'd rather it not have a built-in headphone amplifier, as I'd rather not be paying for something that won't get any use.

The feature-rich Benchmark DAC1 HDR would be nearly ideal, but I can't really justify spending that much at the moment.
An ideal max price would be around $350, although I would be willing to go up to $900 if it can be justified (I'd really rather not, though). That price just denotes the ceiling. I realize most people just recommend the best product at the max price, but if something meets the minimum spec for less, I'd like to know.

I was considering the the MF V-DAC, although it's not as neutral as I'd like and is the bare essential, and I don't know how it would operate if both S/PDIF jacks has signals being fed to them.

So I come here asking if there are any other options that I should be considering?

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #2 of 7

These have are the ones I've been looking at:

WooAudio
Anedio
Cambridge Audio
Wyred 4 Sound

Here is another list.

Cambridge Audio
Wyred 4 Sound
Antelope Audio
Berkley Audio Labs
Resolution Audio
Lavry Engineering

Weiss
Benchmark
Eastern Electric
Audiolab

Appogee
Focusrite
M-Audio
TC Electronic

Anedio
Mytek
Yulong
Filo
Ressonessence

I think all these have XLR.  I know I missed some.

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #3 of 7

Yulong is the cheapest at 429, but it cannot be used as a preamp.

Cambridge audio DacMagic plus has the most features at the cheapest price $599.  I haven't found anything that can do everything the Dac Magic can for cheaper.

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #4 of 7
The actual sound quality is the most important, along with the inputs. Being used as a preamp would just be more convenient. I don't mind not having it if it means I can get a superior product. 

Most of what you listed is out of my price range. I'd rather stick to under $500, but $900 is the hard limit. 

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #5 of 7
At the upper/top end of your budget I'd suggest looking at the CEntrance DACmini or Audiolab M-DAC. The M-DAC is a bit more money but is quite a bit more versatile.

Feb 22, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #6 of 7
Assuming your other components are up to the task check Benchmark's site for a B stock Dac 1 Pre.  (Essentially 99% of an HDR without remote)

I bought an HDR a few months ago and couldn't be happier (well I could but this isn't really something a DAC can do)

Feb 23, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #7 of 7
Audiolab M-DAC. Hits your top budget so that may be a problem but it has everything you want (Not sure if you can use xlr rca outputs at the same time though). Unfortunately I think there are stock issues so you might have to wait (Good time to start saving). Sick sound and makes fun of the dacmagic for $300 more. Be sure to also look for used stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back