first amp suggestions?
Oct 30, 2006 at 1:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

adeut85

New Head-Fier
The head-fi bug has apparently bitten me and I am starting to look into getting my first amp. I am looking for something to pair with either my ATH-A500s or super.fi 5 Pros. The A500s are generally used at home with my computer coming from an AV-710. The 5 Pros are used with my 4th gen ipod.

I would possibly like to have an amp that would be good at going both ways, home and portable use but home use is the most important so if there is a good desktop amp versus a moderate amp with portability I would probably pick the desktop amp.

I prefer my music to have a little more fun sound so an amp that adds a little pep to the music is more important to me than accuracy.

So far I have been looking into:

PA2V2
Xenos OHA-REP
GoVibe 5
LDM+
LD2+

Looking to spend in the 150 (or less) ballpark.

Any suggestions on other amps, or opinions on these amps, are greatly appreciated. I have had trouble searching for/finding anybody that has used a pair of A500s with these (where are you A500 users!?). Thanks everybody.

I'm already sad about my wallet
frown.gif
600smile.gif

Oct 30, 2006 at 11:00 AM Post #2 of 7
I've been using the Xenos and im satisfied with it
biggrin.gif

It is very portable.
Battery usage is acceptable.
Doesnt heat up
Able to drive Phones that are 16 - 300 ohms.

Sonically : This is an amp i feel that adds brightness and from what i had with the 595's, it adds the soundstaging and the " live " .

All IMHO , happy listening!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the input on the Xenos

Does anybody know what ever happend with the Xenos 1HA portable amp that was supposed to come up some time in October?

Oct 30, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #4 of 7
I have listened to the first 3 of the 5 amps you have listed, and I have compared those 3 amps side by side. IMO I would choose the Go-Vibe 5. However if you can stretch your budget to $179 I would say get the Supermicro IV from Dr. Xin.

Be aware it will take about 6 weeks to two months before you would get the Supermicro IV. However in the +/-10 portable amp shoot out Vorlon1 and I did about 3 weeks ago the Supermicro IV came on top. Good luck.

Oct 31, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #5 of 7
Supermicro IV has gotten great reiews. A slightly used Corda HeadFive is in the same ballpark with your budget, too. Just so you know that the LDII+ will be $185 new shipped and tube rolling options with it is rather limited (I mean, rather non-existant) but it's probably the best budget tube amp around. Good luck!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 7
How does the soundstage of the xin supermicro iv compare to that of the headfive? I know this might be comparing apples to oranges but if the headfive blows the supermicro away I might be willing to shell out the extra bucks for that.

Nov 1, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #7 of 7
Anyone else have some advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back