First Amp: Magni 2 for the HD600s?
Jan 26, 2015 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Nick727

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys. I have the HD600s but I'm running them without an amp right now. Would the Magni 2 be a good pair for the headphones? How about the Vali? I did some research but I can't seem to find many people with these two paired together. Thanks in advance everyone!

Jan 26, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #2 of 7
You won't be disappointed! There are many happy Magni/Magni 2/Magni 2 Uber owners, including myself!

Read through this thread for impressions: http://www.head-fi.org/t/746128/the-schiitstorm-next-gen-magni-2-and-modi-2-family

Jan 26, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #4 of 7
  Thanks for the response. Question, If my computer gets the headphones loud enough as it is right now, will an amp like the Magni make a noticeable difference?

Yes, absolutely - with the HD 600, which are 300 ohm headphones that need an amplifier to sound their best. If you had lower-end headphones, this may not be the case. Amplification is more about driving certain headphones with authority than it is about merely achieving sufficient volume.

Jan 26, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #5 of 7
Oh, and you'll need a DAC too. I use the Modi 2. (In case you didn't know, all you need to do is connect your computer to the DAC via a USB cable, then connect the DAC to the amp via two RCA cables.)

Jan 26, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks again! I think I might hold off on the DAC right now, I don't want to drop over $200 just yet. Plus it'll give me something to look forward to down the road
tongue.gif

Jan 26, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #7 of 7
  Thanks again! I think I might hold off on the DAC right now, I don't want to drop over $200 just yet. Plus it'll give me something to look forward to down the road
tongue.gif

Yeah, you can get the amp by itself and connect to your computer with the right adapters. It just won't sound as good. =D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back