Jun 13, 2019 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

hyg71886

Head-Fier
I am planning on buying the following equipment for a good 2.1 setup

(2)JBL 306p Mkii monitor speaker
Monolith 10in sub
Topping D30/A30
Headphones: A50 Astro

My questions are as follows, I only know home theater and have never hooked up monitor speakers, how do I hook this stuff up through the dac to work with everything? I am not 100% sure how to do that with just the dac. Also, would you recommend I change anything listed? Once I get from overseas this will be in my main computer room.

Jun 15, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #2 of 12
The PC connects to the D30 with USB.

The TV, if a separate device, connects to the D30 with coaxial or more likely optical.

The D30 connects to the A30 with an RCA stereo interconnect.

The A30 has an RCA line out but it is just a direct link to the LINE IN. It is not volume controlled.

First issue is that the A30 cannot be used as a pre-amp (volume control) for your speakers. Those JBL's do have their own volume controls but they are on the rear and with one for each speaker will be a PITA so you will need a pre-amp to control the volume.

Second thing is that those JBL's only have balanced inputs, no single ended RCA's, so your pre-amp will need a balanced output.

Any reason for choosing those JBL's? They don't seem like the best fit to me.

One answer would be a stereo pair active speaker where one is active and the other is a passive slave. You would want to find one with a volume control on the front and single ended (RCA) inputs on the rear.

Jun 16, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #3 of 12
Alternatively take a look at some Schiit. The Modi 3 and Magni 3 would be a good alternative to the Topping duo and the Magni 3 will act as a pre-amp for your speakers. It says as much on the Schiit Audio website: https://www.schiit.com/products/magni-1

Jun 17, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #5 of 12
The PC connects to the D30 with USB.

The TV, if a separate device, connects to the D30 with coaxial or more likely optical.

The D30 connects to the A30 with an RCA stereo interconnect.

The A30 has an RCA line out but it is just a direct link to the LINE IN. It is not volume controlled.

First issue is that the A30 cannot be used as a pre-amp (volume control) for your speakers. Those JBL's do have their own volume controls but they are on the rear and with one for each speaker will be a PITA so you will need a pre-amp to control the volume.

Second thing is that those JBL's only have balanced inputs, no single ended RCA's, so your pre-amp will need a balanced output.

Any reason for choosing those JBL's? They don't seem like the best fit to me.

One answer would be a stereo pair active speaker where one is active and the other is a passive slave. You would want to find one with a volume control on the front and single ended (RCA) inputs on the rear.

What would you recommend over the JBL's? I can still cancel those they havent shipped yet. I was also looking at this https://rslspeakers.com/products/cg23-2-1-stereo-speaker-system/

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #6 of 12
I am planning on buying the following equipment for a good 2.1 setup
(2)JBL 306p Mkii monitor speaker, Monolith 10in sub, Topping D30/A30, Headphones: A50 Astro
My questions are as follows, I only know home theater and have never hooked up monitor speakers, how do I hook this stuff up through the dac to work with everything? I am not 100% sure how to do that with just the dac. Also, would you recommend I change anything listed? Once I get from overseas this will be in my main computer room.
JBL LSR 306P MKII....something I would consider buying.
The Monolith 10 inch sub-woofer is not designed to work with studio monitors (LSR-306P),
you need to get a sub-woofer that comes with both line-inputs and line-output, to work with studio monitors.
Why the Astro A50 headphones?
Guess we can assume this setup is for use with a Windows PC?
Is this audio setup for FPS gaming or other?

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #7 of 12
Jun 21, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #8 of 12
O wow that does seem like it would be better and i just ordered the mixer lol. No the speakers are for music and movies, the astros are for gaming. I plan on getting the dt770 for headphones. Is that monolith good for this music, movies? I like a good punch and impact on my subs for this like a jbl

Jun 21, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #9 of 12
O wow that does seem like it would be better and i just ordered the mixer lol. No the speakers are for music and movies, the Astros are for gaming. I plan on getting the DT770 for headphones. Is that monolith good for this music, movies? I like a good punch and impact on my subs for this like a JBL
The Monolith is not designed to work with studio monitors (self powered speakers), not sure why your asking about it?
My $125 Soundmagic HP151 sound better then the DT770.
I would say to not get the Astros or the DT770, put all your headphone budget into something like the Beyerdynamic DT1990 and maybe get the Modmic.
One headphone for both great sound and gaming.

Jun 24, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #11 of 12
I was referring to the sub you linked in my last post. I already own the Astro a50's. I don't use them for music though. Have you heard that Monoprice sub before?
Never listened to the Monoprice sub-woofer, I do use the Monoprice 5" studio monitors, which I like.
Monoprice stuff is usually good Bang for the Buck products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back