first £50+ headphones purchase please advice
May 19, 2012 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

razor1911

New Head-Fier
so I decided to see whats like to listen to more expensive headphones,

I have a budget of £50-£200 for the headphones, might buy the ASUS Xonar Phoebus on top if it turns out to be any good.

- I am not audiophile (at least yet) so I have no idea what to expect

- I mainly watch movies \ tv shows and play computer games from time to time, not into competitive gameplay, so pin point precision is not required.

- want something that is fun and pleasant to use, again sound accuricy is not that important.

- I do not record or edit audio

- dont care about sound leaking so open back is ok, but if the close back quality better I will go for that.

- I am based in the UK.

May 19, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #2 of 11
The Denon d2000 would do well. Also consider the Ultrasone HFi-780's. I find them pretty fun to listen to. In fact, the 780's are marketed for movie watching. They do well for other stuff just as well too.

May 20, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #4 of 11
I had not looked in to Ultrasone, are they more natuaral like the HD650 etc

or more toward grado harsh treble?

More on the grado side with better bass

May 20, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #5 of 11
Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet.

For movies and for gaming, you'll most likely want something open and spacious, or at the very least something closed with great soundstage. Bassiness and warmth of sound is also a plus for movies, especially for a first-time buyer. Knowing this, I believe your best bet would most definitely be the Fischer Audio FA-011. It's spacious, it's got the rumble suitable for action movies and games, it's comfortable forever on your head, and it comes in neatly under your top specified price.

May 20, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #6 of 11
Double post.

May 20, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet.

For movies and for gaming, you'll most likely want something open and spacious, or at the very least something closed with great soundstage. Bassiness and warmth of sound is also a plus for movies, especially for a first-time buyer. Knowing this, I believe your best bet would most definitely be the Fischer Audio FA-011. It's spacious, it's got the rumble suitable for action movies and games, it's comfortable forever on your head, and it comes in neatly under your top specified price.

I can say sorry for your wallet too if you pay more than that for headphones :p

joking aside.

I just bought HD650, with xonar ST, will give them a go and go from there.

thanks for input everyone

May 20, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #8 of 11
The HD650 is quite a good headphone; I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

May 20, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #9 of 11
I would say to hold off on the Asus Phoebus until Asus has released one revision for the drivers, fix any possible bugs in the software.
The Asus Xonar DG & DGX are good low cost sound card, comes with a half-way decent headphone amplifier and Dolby Digital 5.1 (Dolby Virtual Headphone).
I heard good things said about the Fisher Audio FA-011.

May 20, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
I would say to hold off on the Asus Phoebus until Asus has released one revision for the drivers, fix any possible bugs in the software.
The Asus Xonar DG & DGX are good low cost sound card, comes with a half-way decent headphone amplifier and Dolby Digital 5.1 (Dolby Virtual Headphone).
I heard good things said about the Fisher Audio FA-011.

thanks for the info,
 I got the HD650 now.

and the xonar ST. so hopefully no driver issues.

I did go over budget though :p

May 20, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #11 of 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back