Firs DIY project
Mar 20, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #16 of 26
For basic work (checking continuity, resistor values, voltages) your basic $20 multimeter from radioshack will do. It isn't exactly accurate but how often do you really need to know the difference between 2V and 2.1V?

I bought one from dealextreme for $15 (here: it even measures capacitance) plus a few bucks for better leads, it works fine for what I need (90% just continuity checks).

Mar 20, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by DKJones96 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Details for the MM

I think the specs are accurate, but the model DX currently has looks quite different (see the customer shots, DX pics are all over the place). In particular, the DX one doesn't have the fold-able screen (which would be cool).

Mar 20, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #19 of 26
I know it was said, but just to make it crystal clear for the OP, aside from tools and what is included in the glass jar kits you will need:
-Chassis (one huge one or two medium ones)
-Volume Potentiometer (4 channel ALPS RK27, DACT CT2, Joshua Tree, and others will do)
-2 XLR input jacks, 2 XLR output jacks
-IEC outlet with fuse holder
-Volume knob
-Hookup wire for signal paths, power to boards, and AC to transformer
-FastOn connectors for AC hookup wire to IEC inlet
-Heatshrink
-Power switch
-Ground loop breaker (see AMB's beta 22 website, only requred for an all-in-one chassis design)
-Umbilical cord (for two chassis design)

There are tons of optional components such as multiple inputs, unbalanced (RCA) inputs, another sigma 22 and transformer, AC line filters, a completely shielded transformer, binding posts for small speakers, and more. Take a look at the gallery on the AMB site if you want some ideas.

Mar 21, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #20 of 26
Thanks compuryan that was what I was after A detailed list of the part needed that are not included in the kit. I think I actualy have an inexpensive multi meter I was under the asumtion that I might need more precision. I might add an unbalanced rca input and 1/4 TRS output aswell as the balanced ones but no speaker jacks as I have an amp for that.

Mar 29, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #21 of 26
Have you considered building the "Starving Student" amp ?
I enjoyed the point/point wiring and the tubes sound great.
Also has a big thread with mucho info.
just my 3cents (adjusted for inflation) .........
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #22 of 26
I think that might be a road I will travel as one day I would like to give tubes a try but right now I am sticking with solid state designs thanks for your input though.

Mar 29, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #24 of 26
The Beta 22 is a bit advanced of a project for my first so I think I will have to build a few other things to build my soldering skills and confidence. I think for my very first project I might build a small V Cap dock much like EFNs dock. It will hopefully go well as all I need to do is solder the the left/right leads of the V-Cap to an Ipod LOD dock and a mini stereo connecter as well as a ground conection. It will give me some practice soldering hookup wire in an open enviroment rather than on an expensive PCB.

Mar 29, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #25 of 26
Here's a list of parts I think you'll need. Some of this overlaps what others have said.

1. Hookup wire
2. PCB standoffs and hardware
3. input jacks (XLR if you're going balanced probably)
4. output jacks (again, XLR if you're going balanced)
5. fused and/or switched IEC
6. Fuse and/or power switch if your IEC does not have one.
7. speaker jacks if you plan on hooking up speakers.
8. stepped attenunator or 4 gang pot if you're going balanced.
9. heat shrink tubing
10. other wire management (zip ties or tie downs or whatever)
11. Solder wick in case you make any mistakes
12. faston connectors for the connections to the IEC and/or power switch

As for the DMM, I also have the $4 harbor freight one. It's crappy, but it works fine for the most part.

Mar 29, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #26 of 26
Thanks oneplustwo for the information I will check over the parts you have listed. I may still start to compile parts for the build even though I may not proceed with it right away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back