* Firewire External Sound Card
Jan 14, 2007 at 1:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

lukealexander

100+ Head-Fier
So, I currently use a laptop with integrated sound
redface.gif
and want something better. I am considering an external firewire solution since I only have 3 USB2.0 ports and dislike their CPU use (and possible bandwidth issues).

Are there any external firewire solutions? I am on a narrow budget, perhaps £30 / $60. I don't mind buying eBay/used
smily_headphones1.gif
If not, I would like PCMCIA but they are all too expensive so USB external it would have to be!

Edit: I will be using Sennheiser HD555's & V-Moda Vibe's
smily_headphones1.gif

I will only be using analogue out to aforementioned headphones. A physical volume control would be nice, but nowhere near essential!

Jan 14, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #2 of 5
Your budged is way too low for to get any new Firewire/PCMCIA device. You need least to twice the budged so you be able to get something.

I think the Behringer F-Control Audio FCA202 (69£ MSRP incl. 17,5% VAT) is the cheapiest FireWire solution ATM. PHONIC FIREFLY 302 (~£85) is another cheap FireWire model and, I suppose the rest are (well) over £150.

As PCMCIA solution, E-MU 02 CardBus Card (71£ inc. VAT) - http://eustore.emu.com/category.asp?cate=93 would be the best one of those two cheapiest choices (as the Audigy 2 Zs NB is ~£70) but, if you then later need S/PDIF, etc. then, you need to either get the Audigy 2 Zs Notebook or pay much more and get E-MU 1616/1616M, RME or Digigram since, rest of available PCMCIA solutions (from E-MU, ECHO, RME and Digigram) are a bit more expensive.

EDIT: search this forum using lapfi --> there are plenty of available USB etc. devices listed w/ price information and links.

jiitee

Jan 14, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #3 of 5
Could you explain which you would prefer over PCMCIA/Firewire ?

I really can't move my budget (Student & this Forum BE DAMNED!) but I don't mind buying used parts
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by lukealexander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you explain which you would prefer over PCMCIA/Firewire ?

I really can't move my budget (Student & this Forum BE DAMNED!) but I don't mind buying used parts
smily_headphones1.gif

In this case (low budged) I would choose the E-MU 02 because of it's audio quality and expandability since those low cost FireWire cards I mentioned are quite poor in audio quality.

Otherwise, I would avoid PCMCIA (Type II/CardBus) cards because of, you propably can't find laptops w/ suitable PCMCIA drives anymore in future (most are bundled w/ ExpressCard drives already now) and those needed adapters (PCMCIA->EspressCard bridge) are not cheap I guess.

There are also some 'technical' advantages which affects on audio quality etc. speakin' in favour of FireWire (I suppose you'll find lots of information on this by searching here and there (google)).

jiitee

Jan 14, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #5 of 5
How would an M-Audio Transit work, versus those other suggestions if I could get it for around £30 / $60? It gets high praise on this forum I see, but all of those are teamed with an amp, which I am not too keen on at this moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back