Firewire and USB 2.0 with iPod?
Dec 2, 2003 at 9:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Rizumu

Thinks I like him.
Can you use USB 2.0 with the iPod? What are the advantages/disadvantages of this instead of using Firewire? My computer only has a USB 2.0 ports so I'm curious...do you have to buy a special connector for USB 2.0 or does the iPod come with one?

Dec 2, 2003 at 10:05 AM Post #3 of 8
I've got a laptop and got a PCMIA firewire card. Comes with a CD to update the drivers and works w/no problems. This happens to be the one I got (pic is linked).

Dec 2, 2003 at 10:22 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by fractus2
I've got a laptop and got a PCMIA firewire card. Comes with a CD to update the drivers and works w/no problems. This happens to be the one I got (pic is linked).

That looks cool...unfortunately my MP3s aren't stored on my laptop though :-/

Dec 2, 2003 at 10:41 AM Post #5 of 8
3G iPod's have USB 2.0/1.1 support built-in but you will have to get the USB/FireWire combo cable separately since there is only a FireWire cable in the box. Also the iPod will not charge through USB.

Dec 2, 2003 at 10:55 PM Post #6 of 8
yeah, you'll need something like this:

Apple iPod™ USB 2.0 + FireWire® Cable

A cash grab if you ask me. Spend $500 and they can't even throw in a measley cable.

redface.gif

Dec 3, 2003 at 12:01 AM Post #7 of 8
Hm, just going to say at that price, might as well get a Firewire/1394 PCI board. CompUSA.com carries them starting at $30, can probaly get them for less elsewhere if a little search is mate, perhaps at pricewatch.com, or find them locally at a place that sells PC hardware.

Dec 3, 2003 at 7:24 PM Post #8 of 8
There have been discussions as to why Firewire is better than USB2.0 but the gist of it is that Firewire has a higher sustained transfer rate. USB2.0 has a higher burst rate but without a high sustained transfer rate, it can't compare to Firewire. It's probably better to go with Firewire since you can also charge your iPod at the same time. Besides, firewire cards aren't that expensive now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back