Firewire 410 + Nvidia 6150 = corrupted audio
Jul 21, 2006 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Ham Sandwich

Headphoneus Supremus
An FYI

The Nvidia 6150 integrated video driver seems to be buggy and conflicts with my M-Audio Firewire 410. It causes corrupted audio on the Firewire 410 with clicks or even complete dropouts of the audio.

The problem with the 6150 video driver is that the driver reports 256 MB or even 512 MB of available memory depending on the version of the driver. The 6150 uses shared memory and can use at most 128 MB of memory. It cannot do 256 MB or 512 MB as the video driver is reporting. That's a recipe for memory conflicts or corruption. It's a problem with all of the 80 series ForceWare drivers and the 90 series beta drivers that I tried. I didn't get around to trying the latest 91.31 ForceWare drivers.

The audio corruption happened during graphics processing. For example during Flash animations or fancy visualizations in WMP, or 3D graphics demos, etc. Disabling hardware acceleration for the video would solve the problem for the most part.

My solution to the problem was to buy a new video card to replace the integrated 6150LE. The replacement was an Nvidia 7600 GT and that solved the problem. No more audio badness. So something is wrong with the 6150 video that is causing a conflict with the M-Audio Firewire 410. I suspect that it is buggy Nvidia drivers and how the shared memory is managed.

It's all good now and I'm running dual monitors on the new video card so the video card upgrade brought good things.

System:
HP Pavilion a1450n desktop
AMD X2 dual core
Nvidia GeForce 6150LE integrated video with shared memory
Replaced the 6150LE integrated video with a passively cooled Gigabyte 7600 GT.

I don't know if it's a conflict specific to the M-Audio Firewire 410. Could potentially be a problem for other Firewire based sound interfaces or maybe even USB based sound interfaces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back