Firestone vs HeadRoom vs Meier "stack"
Dec 4, 2005 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dag655321

100+ Head-Fier
Which one delivers the best bang for the buck.

I am about to re-enter the world of solid state amps. My PPX3 has servered me very well, and I will miss it dearly, but my source is just not keeping up with it. My plan is to use the money from the PPX3 to get an upgraded USB DAC, and a decent solid state amp to go with it. My current choices are:

HeadRoom micro stack (DAC and amp). At $600, this will basically swallow up all of the profits from the PPX3.

Firestone Audio "cute stack" (Fubar II and Cute Beyond). This runs about $350 with shipping and has gotten pretty good reviews so far.

Meier Audio Corda Aria. This is basically an amp and USB DAC in one. I have not heard any reports on its quality/performance.

Another long shot possibility would be the Fubar II with a Woo Audio 3. Not really sure if I want another tube amp, since it will probably not live up to the PPX3, but I might consider it. That would arun about $640 total ($490 plus $150).

Since my PC is my source, a USB DAC could really improve things over the $45 soundblaster I currently have. Sorry to start another "what should I buy" thread, but having only briefly heard a MicroStack, and never hearing either of the others, I could really use some advice.

Dec 4, 2005 at 10:27 PM Post #2 of 11
Eh.. your approach is a bit backwards, the amp you already have is very good, and everything you listed would be a solid "downgrade" just get an 80$ Emu-0404 and be done with it. Or save your money and buy a 404 and regular dac... Most usb dacs are limited to 16-bit, that's a huge turn off for me, as with my soundcard (x-fi) there's a pretty huge differnce when going from 16 to 24 bit.

Dec 4, 2005 at 10:32 PM Post #3 of 11
The HeadRoom Micro Stack will actually be $540 with your Contributor discount.
icon10.gif

My vote is for that combo.

Dec 4, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeW
Eh.. your approach is a bit backwards, the amp you already have is very good, and everything you listed would be a solid "downgrade" just get an 80$ Emu-0404 and be done with it. Or save your money and buy a 404 and regular dac... Most usb dacs are limited to 16-bit, that's a huge turn off for me, as with my soundcard (x-fi) there's a pretty huge differnce when going from 16 to 24 bit.

MikeW, I'm thinking of getting a Headroom MicroAmp to connect to an X-Fi board like you have listed in your signature. Do you just connect them with mini-to-mini through the X-Fi's speaker output line? Or do you use the X-Fi headphone output?

Dec 4, 2005 at 11:57 PM Post #5 of 11
Maybe I should expand on my situation. I only get to listen to headphones at work. The only sources available to me are my iPod and my PC. Right now I am running the PC into the PPX# via a low end Soundblaster external sound card. I am using a laptop, so I can not use an EMU 0404 card instead. I need something that is external (and preferably USB). I love my PPX3 and would be interested in upgrading it to a SLAM, but my sources would not do it justice. Therefore rather than putting even more money into an inderutilized amp, I am planning on selling it, and purchasing an amd and DAC. Given my limited budget, that will do a better job of balancing my source->amp->headphone setup.

Borat, I find your MicroStack recommendation a little funny since just a few days ago you told me how pleased you were with your Fubar.
icon10.gif
Is the micro dac worth twice the price?

But in the end I will probably agree with you. I assume that if I "settle" for the Firestone combo, I will be left wondering how much better the MicroStack is.

Dec 5, 2005 at 2:10 AM Post #6 of 11
I have a similar situation, and was considering the same stuff. In the end, I'm going for the Aria. Here's why:
  1. didn't need the transportability factor offered in the microstack
  2. the rca jacks
  3. dac in the same unit, good placement, assured to be better than most soundcards. Using DAC for computer use only.
  4. Great amplifier with wonderful reviews of the prototype alone, and I've heard excellent things regarding Meier's crossfeed.
  5. unbelievable price, limited edition.

Dec 5, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #7 of 11
It will be interesting to see more Firestone reviews. I know lan has some coming on the DACs.

Same goes for the Aria. I have one on order. Hoping to replace my USB external soundcard, DAC, crossfeed and amp with one unit. The reviews of the amp have been very positive. The DAC is the big unknown. Should know in a couple weeks.

Dec 5, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #10 of 11
My X-Fi (XM) dosent have a headphone out. I just run a Radio Shack, Gold series mini-mini to the amp. I get no noise and it sounds great, though there are measuable distortions when the X-Fi volume is set past 80%, (measured with RMAA) past 79% my RMAA scores drop from "Excellent" across the board to "Very Good". My setup sounds wonderful but im left wanting more, not because of a lack of quality, just because im curious and new to this whole hi-fi thing
smily_headphones1.gif
Im about to blow over a grand on some Headroom Lovin
smily_headphones1.gif
You been Warned!

Quote:

Originally Posted by shuttleboi
MikeW, I'm thinking of getting a Headroom MicroAmp to connect to an X-Fi board like you have listed in your signature. Do you just connect them with mini-to-mini through the X-Fi's speaker output line? Or do you use the X-Fi headphone output?

dag655321 : Im sure you'll be happy with the MicroStack, but don't be surprized if you miss your PPX..

Daryn Alexander: I agree with most of what you said, rather this combo sounds better then the stack remains to be seen though, and an Integrated DAC is not a plus in my book. If they are separate you can always sell one or the other, and upgrade one or the other. You can always get a better DAC for it, but then you've got a big ol piece of silicon just sitting there not being used, if it was separate you coulda sold it at least. But at that great price who cares anyway?

Dec 5, 2005 at 6:25 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Daryn Alexander: I agree with most of what you said, rather this combo sounds better then the stack remains to be seen though, and an Integrated DAC is not a plus in my book. If they are separate you can always sell one or the other, and upgrade one or the other. You can always get a better DAC for it, but then you've got a big ol piece of silicon just sitting there not being used, if it was separate you coulda sold it at least. But at that great price who cares anyway?

Yeah, the price was definitely a plus. Almost got a stack, but for my first DAC I thought I'd try it out and see if it's worth it to my ears, plus just got a new computer. From the impressions of the prototypes, it seemed it would go well with the K701's (didn't get much time with those, but they sounded better than my 880's. Not as bright, and a bit more expansive) If I upgrade, I don't mind getting a separate amp/DAC so as to use one at the office/on the go and one to use at home for two (one of us a new convert, after I won my first argument in my marriage: Honey, in ear monitors are better than earbuds. Let me show you...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back