Firestone Cute BEYOND or ENCORE
Jan 14, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #16 of 19
I doubt you can get any good sound if you do this way. The best way is using USB DAC, like LAPTOP>Firestone FUBAR II USB DAC, which is USD 120 only >ENCORE > phones
Or iPod>FUBAR>ENCORE>PHONES

Not sure if iPod have USB out ( must have ), cos if not you may have to use DOC then.

When your source an Laptop only, you are in the DAC market.

Another option is to use SR80 just from out of iPod line out ( using LOD cable )>portable amp> phones.

Or you can search some info about Portable amps, which have USB port as well. This way you do not need so many equipment, just one good portable amp thats it.

I believe that the last option will be the best for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by indysmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks - and can these Firestone amps be used with a Laptop/iPod if i needed to? Would a 3.5mm jack to phono converter do the trick?

Feb 14, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #17 of 19
Hi indysmith,

I think you're misunderstanding the preamp on the Country. It's not a phono pre. The Country can act as a traditional hi-fi preamp, which accepts a line level signal from a CD player or DAC, and outputs to a power amp (or the inbuilt head amp stage).

Neither the Cute or the Country can accept signal directly from a TT. You'll need a dedicated phono stage, as the guys earlier in the thread were pointing out, (the Korora) in either case to rationalise (for the lack of a better word) the signal into something that the Country or Beyond can accept.

FWIW, I've got a Country, and I like the sound, but I can't give you a proper comparison with anything. It was an impulse buy (one going cheap) to learn about tubes. But don't skimp on the source. I ran the Country from my CDP, and it sounded great. When I run it from my PC, which is why I got it, the sound's dull and lifeless. Without a good DAC, it's being wasted.

And yes, I use a 3.5 to RCA to run the Country on the PC. This would be the only way to use them on the ipod. I highly recommend a DAC (even if it's down the road) for use with your laptop, though. The Fubar III is an all in one for this, but of course the Spitfire + Encore/Country is a higher quality setup.

Apr 22, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by indysmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've also discovered the Firestone Little Country Hybrid preamp and amp. Has anybody tried this? It would probably be a better investment getting the amp and preamp in one, and also knowing that they've been designed to work together is good. I still don't know where the grounding goes though. Sorry for the perhaps slightly n00bish questions, but I've only just got into head-fi after deciding my ipod into some crappy old sony headphones wasn't doing it for me. I'd really appreciative for ANY help (and please feel free to dumb it right down for me!).
There's also a possibility that I'm looking at the completely wrong type of amp for a turntable, so tell me if I'm in the wrong ballpark.
Thanks again

I have, but its a bit out of my budget to own one. A friend of mine has one and absolutely swears by it.

Personally I can't bring myself to spend more than $250 on an item, let alone the $500 or so the LCIII costs but that's me
atsmile.gif
Obviously there's a big market for these and everyone who's tried them absolutely loves it (online reviews have been very positive).

EDIT: Figured you may want a link

May 8, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #19 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by StayOnBoard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have, but its a bit out of my budget to own one. A friend of mine has one and absolutely swears by it.

Personally I can't bring myself to spend more than $250 on an item, let alone the $500 or so the LCIII costs but that's me
atsmile.gif
Obviously there's a big market for these and everyone who's tried them absolutely loves it (online reviews have been very positive).

EDIT: Figured you may want a link

Honestly, I think there's a lot to be said about the cost vs quality but that's a whole other topic
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Surely, this won't work, as a turntable needs a phono preamp, with RIAA compensation.

Exactly. You need a Photo RIAA to be able to use a turntable. indysmith's setup won't work (and if Im wrong, someone please correct me).

I ended up buying a Korora for my RIAA Phono - but I believe what you guys are talking about (the LCIII) is a tube head amp, not a Phono.... so therefore it won't work with what your' trying to do.

Hope that helps clarify...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back