Firestone Audio Cute amps pre/review
Dec 5, 2005 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

lan

Videographus Supremus:Makes audio cables using super-advanced materials, like "some clear tape" and "some not so clear tape."
Since I've got a lot of work coming up, feeling a little ill, I can only post in small increments. I have got a lot of stuff to research and checkout also since headphones are not my only gear interests. I'm now testing new camera lens, Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC so I figure I might as well take some product shots to get this audio ball rolling.

This isn't meant to be a serious review since I'm not the best at writing. I'm just a regular user unrelated to any audio brand, company, or publication. I've been lucky enough to attend like 15 or so meets so I've heard quite a bit of gear. I was also fortunate to find my type of sound and have formed my own definition of what "high quality" can mean. One thing I've learned is there is usually no clear winner because the performance depends on synergy and your preferences. It's very rare to find something so above and beyond something else and these cute amps are no exception to that. I'll try and say what their characters are like, and make some recommendations what they may go nicely with.

I like a neutral and balanced presentation kind of sound. It's the kind where nothing overwhelms the other, nothing sticks out, and the presentation is contiguous. I dabble in many things related to audio. I do a bit of audio and video editing, am interested in technical things like compression methods ala hydrogenaudio.org, play video games, watch a lot of movies, do a bit of DIY tweaking, modding, etc.

Ok now for some pictures. The box and contents are basically the same throughout the line I believe. This box was from a Beyond headphones amplifier.

cute_box_closed.jpg

Some people may enjoy packaging and presentation. The experience here is nice as it's like opening a present. It's above and beyond typical DIY style amps which may offer nothing more than an unlabeled box and some bubble wrap.

cute_box_open.jpg

The box is certainly customized for the contents. There's an area for the amp in the middle with a cutout for the volume knob, the accessories, and PSU. It's certainly been thought out. Nice.

cute_box_contents.jpg

In this particular instance for the Beyond amp, this is what you get. You may get other things for other items. For Fubar II USB DAC, you get a USB cable also which is a nice touch since you may not have one around. I also got some nice looking interconnects but I forgot which package it was from since they look all the same
tongue.gif
. Such items are a nice addition to the out of the box experience. I notice with some gear, you don't get USB cables or even powercord.

cute_message.jpg

I'm not sure what it says here. Anybody want to translate
biggrin.gif
It's nice to have a personal message
tongue.gif
I myself could care less about packaging and what's in the box but other people do so I thought I'd add this whole segment.

cute_manual.jpg

A simple manual in English describing the various parts of the amp. It has nice design touch to it.

cute_lwrench.jpg

You'll need this to open up the case if you want to change opamps. Another nice touch of something added in the box. I've always had to get my own tool to open up any amps I've had.

cute_psu.jpg

This is the stock PSU that powers these units I have on hand, Beyond, Fubar II, Spitfire, and Encore. It's a fairly small switching PSU so handles 50/60hz, 110-240V. The plug is for US jacks though. Hmm. I forgot to take a pic of the unit out of it's box
tongue.gif
I'll do that later when I take pic of upgraded PSU unit, the Supplier. Now for the actual Beyond amp.

beyond_front.jpg

It's an attractive unit. You can get different face plates colors which is cool. It feels sturdy. The volume knob is very very smooth.

beyond_side.jpg

The knob sticks out a bit making it easy to grasp.
beyond_back.jpg

Baby's got back.

beyond_bottom.jpg

This is for those of you with feet fetishes
biggrin.gif

Overall a great build quality.

I'll be checking out the Beyond and Encore amps. I'll do a write up on the Fubar II and Spitfire DACs in the sources section. I'm going to take a break now.

Round 1 w/ Encore

Headphones
HF1 (low impedence?). Is it known what impedence these are? 32, 40???
SA5000 (70 ohms)
AKG K4 (400 ohms)

Sources
My computer into Fubar II and into modded ART DI/O. Fubar II is a rather warm/darker source and I'd say my DI/O is in the middle. For reference I'd classify Benchmark DAC1 as brighter and Grace m902 on the darker side.

Experience
Fubar II + Encore is a warm sounding combo. It's a fairly hefty sounding with ample bass and lesser treble. I questioned is this less treble from amp or source so I should change sources and so I did. The DI/O gives it less bass and more treble changing the sonic balance. It was nice to see the Encore react well with the different sources. For my own personal tastes it was a touch too little bass now. To me this would make the amp be fairly neutral if it can change with what it's hooked up to. Some other amps impart too much of their own sonic signatures and I rather stay as neutral as possible with amps so I was liking this.

The volume knob is smooth and I didn't even turn it up much past 1-2 "marks" around the circle which there are 9 with the Grado's and this was in low gain mode. I didn't hear any background noises with this combo/settings. I don't listen to high volume and I'm actually too far low in the volume which usually it's common to have channel imbalance on potentiometers.

So what was constant which could be defined as it's sonic character? The amp was not harsh in the treble. I find there are some equiment which has edgy treble or is grainy. The Encore was pretty smooth. Any "weirdness" upstream which may affect the treble presented itself more of a fuzz/haze which to me is less offensive. The bass was punchy and could be pretty powerful and deep given the right source (fubar II had more than DI/O here). Midrange was not recessed. There's not really much to say about this amp because it doesn't do much wrong. I find it faily balanced sound with nothing sticking out. It'll be a matter of synergy and preference.

Pros
- Non offensive sounding making it easy to deal with.
- Above average bass response. With the fubar II, it sounds like there's a mini sub sometimes in depth and power. The better power supply could help here I suspect. Although it doesn't need more bass I find having more bass is ONLY ok if it's actually resolved well.
- Balanced presentation.
- Fairly neutral sound which mimickes up stream components easier.

Cons
- Could use a little more treble extension.
- Could use a little more detail.

These might be fixed by the upgraded power supply also. We shall see.

How I like my headphones

I think It's is an important time for a break and state I don't believe in a perfect headphone. I think it's better to play on a headphones strengths and/or minimize it's non-strengths. There's only so much you can compensate for it's non strengths. e.g. AKG K501 will never have Beyer DT770 like bass quantity.

HF1 - I think these have amazing dynamics and incredible bass. So I'm generally looking for anything to give it big slam and deep articulate bass. Treble is not as harsh as other Grados so it's a bit easier to match.

SA5000 - They are detail monsters. I'd like to keep that. I'd like non-offensive treble and articulate bass. I think this headphone needs more low level articulate bass than HF1 since it's quick to show the bass dying quickly.

K4 - Since these headphones are small, they don't have much bass so the game here is all about midrange and treble. These headphones are pretty smooth and have good "inner detail" being part electrostatic so I've never had issues with harshness or detail.

K1000 - If I get time, I'd like to try K1000s off these amps but I need to make cable/adaptor.

Round 2 w/ Beyond

I have plugged the Beyond in and let it warm for one day. These units all have hundreds of hours or burn in but it's only until now I can listen to it.

Experience
The immediate difference while using the HF1s between Beyond and Encore (using DI/O DAC) is that Beyond has more air, is a bit more detailed, and has different kind of bass. I know my ART DI/O DAC is fairly detailed and a treble presence and that wasn't getting through with the Encore plus that amp was darker sounding. The Beyond had better instrument spacing and they were crisper. The amp was pretty smooth just like it's Encore brother.

Pros
- Non offensive sounding making it easy to deal with.
- Crisp instrument separation. Percussions are nicely defined.

Cons
- None really but for my own tastes, it could use a little more bass quantity and extension. An opamp swap and power supply could fix this.

Let me try compile my thoughts using other headphones and the Fubar II now.....

Dec 5, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #2 of 28
Thanks for review and images lan. Very nice they're considerate enough to include a tool.

Dec 5, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #3 of 28
Nice pics! I am glad you captured the warranty card. I asked a friend of mine what it was, and he told me that it was a very old style, and a very classy touch. Same with the manual, which resembles an old style of currancy.

The hex driver is a very nice item as well. It has a ball driver on one end. Serious tool users will appreciate this feature.

gerG

Dec 5, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #4 of 28
Thanks for the pics Ian, I can't wait to hear your impressions on both the amps and the DACs. The pictures of the Beyond sure do look nice. I would consider getting one if I wasn't already so happy with my GLite, but maybe one day, when I'm out of college and making my own money, I'll considering checking it out. Maybe I'll have some time to attend a meet or something where someone has one too...

Dec 5, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
Is it just me, or is the upgraded PSU nowhere to be found on their site? I don't see it anywhere.

I've been told that "The SUPPLIER" — upgraded power supply — is "coming soon". I guess only review samples are "out there".

I tried to check the Firestone-audio site just now but couldn't connect … some hangup between here and there.

Things change fast — and I'm sure either someone will post where to look if it's out already, or will do so whenever it's released for retail.

Dec 5, 2005 at 4:13 AM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerG
Nice pics! I am glad you captured the warranty card.

Ah. So that's what it is? Nice. I usually void my warrenty fast
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ojnihs
I would consider getting one if I wasn't already so happy with my GLite, but maybe one day, when I'm out of college and making my own money, I'll considering checking it out.

You could but you can also consider a new source next
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naga
thats a 1/8 plug aint it
frown.gif
:'(

Yeah that's something they can consider next time. The "better" headphones are usually 1/4" jacks and there's a lot of empty room inside.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
Is it just me, or is the upgraded PSU nowhere to be found on their site? I don't see it anywhere.

Right. Maybe you should contact them directly. I think it's new.

Dec 5, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #9 of 28
Hi everyone
Thank you for the great interests in the Supplier, the upgrade power supply.
The Supplier is not "out" yet. There are only a few sample prototype units floating around to get some impressions.
It will be out soon.
biggrin.gif

Hi lan
Great photos!! Thank you.
I am looking forward to read more of your thoghts on these Cuties.
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2005 at 5:25 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
You could but you can also consider a new source next
wink.gif

So true... Although I'm quite happy with the Airport Express... I think my next purchase is going to be the Spitfire DAC, so we'll see how that goes. All of my music is in mp3, aac, etc format these days, so I guess I'll stick with this stuff for now.

Dec 5, 2005 at 6:45 AM Post #11 of 28
The warranty card says: "Please don't plug Bose TriPorts into this amplifier. We are not responsible for the regurgitation of partially digested food that may result."

biggrin.gif

Seriously, it is a one year warranty coupon for Firestone Audio hardware.

Dec 8, 2005 at 5:29 PM Post #13 of 28
Nice review. Cant wait for round 2.

Also some impressions with the Sennheiser range if possible. 595/600 especially.
580smile.gif

Dec 8, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #14 of 28
Surely someone out there can translate the Chinese!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back