Firefox 3.0 Download Day (World Record!)
Jun 18, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #16 of 26
I tried rc3 of 3.0 and was extremely disappointed with the number of errors I came across. For example, whenever I'd click my bookmarks tab, it would try to bookmark the current page with that stupid little tab that would slide down and if you clicked anywhere else, it would disappear and automatically bookmark it. I must've had Head-Fi bookmarked 15 times in there before I realized what it was doing. I also didn't like the new download progress window, the clear downloads button was on the wrong side. Also, just bookmarking new pages was a chore, it wouldn't simply display the folders I already had in there, I'd have to do some searching through the dumb menu to find my existing folders. I uninstalled it and put on the older version.

Jun 18, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #17 of 26
I downloaded it a few hours ago and am still getting used to it... My old theme won't work with 3.0 so I have to wait a while for them to update it :/

Anyway, it passes Acid2 now, and does much better on Acid3 than it did before.. Seems pretty stable, too. And that save tabs upon close option... Finally!

The memory leak problem has slightly improved.. For me, it's 151488K (and decreasing by ~10000K every couple of minutes) with 11 tabs, rather than 300000K..

Is it just me, or are there icons on right click now..?
And I can't highlight two words when double clicking between them now!
frown.gif
Damn.

Jun 18, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #18 of 26
The mac version looks very 'mac-ey' now, all smooth and gradients. I'll have to get used to it! The address bar is also waaaay different, it incorporates the title text as well as the url, still, this is a very flashy, stylish UI, and it makes safari look like something out of the past.

Betalyr, I can still do that double click thing, so maybe there's a setting somewhere, try the about:config page.

Jun 18, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #19 of 26
Got it, works well, looks nice.

I've joined the list of people who dislike the location bar autocomplete functionality. Basically, I only want it to autocomplete recently-visited websites, not go through every single bookmark. The current 'solution' is to just disable autocomplete altogether, but I hope the Mozilla guys will come up with something more elegant, even if it has to be accessed in about:config.

Jun 18, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #22 of 26
Good Morning Silicon Valley
Article Launched: 06/17/2008 03:05:11 PM PDT

Firefox download stunt sets record for quickest meltdown
By JOHN MURRELL
It's the lucky venture whose customers are not just users, but true fans -- logo-loving evangelists willing to pile on bandwagons and the unconverted with equal zeal. Mozilla, bearer of the Netscape torch, is one of those ventures, and its Firefox browser, thanks both to its quality and its missionaries, has gradually accumulated 18 percent of the market by nibbling away at Microsoft's dominant Internet Explorer. So when Mozilla decided to give the much anticipated Firefox 3 a festive debut by trying to set a single-day downloading record worthy of Guinness, it knew it was inviting a tsunami. The previous record, by the way ... well, there doesn't seem to be a previous record, but Mozilla was shooting for 5 million.

But this is one of those paradoxical network situations where if you succeed beyond your greatest expectations, you fail, and an hour into the promotion, Mozilla had succeeded itself into paralysis. The main Firefox page, if you could get to it, was still showing the Firefox 2 content. The page promoting the record attempt -- MIA. The add-ons page -- cowering in some dark corner. The bid for the record -- whatever.

So if you're pounding on the reload button trying to further this noble effort, just relax. There's no reason to rush, especially as all the add-ons sort themselves out. There is, however, every reason to grab this release at your convenience if you're a current user or just Firefox-curious. The browser has been retooled to deal with the new demands of multimedia and cloud computing, and by most accounts it is wicked fast and a better shepherd of memory. Bookmarking has been improved, and the address bar has been upgraded to "awesome" and given the ability to learn your browsing habits. It's a browser release actually worth getting a little excited about ... in another day or two.

Jun 18, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah everything does go quickly except iphoto 08 in leopard. itunes is fast.

firefox... i like how the browser buttons are not defaulted in osx to windows boxes. still new safari other than memory usage is my fav

iPhoto '08 seems fine on my Mac.

Jun 18, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #24 of 26
iphoto initial load times are slow on my mbp but after i have loaded, it is 'snappy'.

as for FF fast scrolling even now. faster even than safari now perhaps. like using it but the look of it is quite vista looking. so, suddenly instead of similar buttons like in safari or even camino, there is vista style big round button which does not look good in osx at all. all sorts of oblong buttons etc. it works well enough though and that is cool.

the tab bar is much better looking but again, not integrated at all in osx. the close button is on the right while all osx is left. so, if you double click the open space to get a new tab, you could accidentally close your tab - quite a poor design decision. strange that they would call it os integration. as far as i can tell, it is only the new fake cocoa buttons. the tab bar still has close button even though there is only one tab open - makes little sense. i wish that you could drag the image of the tab rather than drag and get a separate arrow to point to where it is to go.

bookmarking is sweet and how it imported all my bookmarks from safari. but more space is wasted in the whole design. why a button for close and reload rather than just one for both? i suppose if all i used was my ubuntu and windows, i would feel it is fine but as i use osx an am used to a much higher level of integration in terms of looks.

i likes it. it is in no way in a similar league to the old clunky firefox but it is so highly visually separate that i will likely only use it when i haven't friends around! when i used windows xp and vista, this was my favourite internet browser, but it does not look good in or part of osx. i am not a mix and match player, that is why years ago i switched to osx but oh well. i hope camino gets soon all the improvements under the hood that firefox has now.

Jun 18, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #25 of 26
Did they set a record?

I downloaded it today, played with the beta a bit. However there were problems with Cnet video in beta, so i uninstalled it.

Its quicker then 2, can tell that for sure. However there is something that bugs me...I hate the animation when you scroll through your tabs, looks like a old school dot matrix display or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back