Firefox 2.0
Oct 23, 2006 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

BodiesOfLight

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone know if this'll use less system resourses then the current version? Or more or what?

I'm pretty curious and anxious to use/try it, sounds like it's going to be nice.

Oct 23, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #3 of 54
I'd say resource usage is equal or less. I haven't had it spike over 60MB yet, whereas the older versions would sometimes hit 100MB or more.

It's been stable for me.

Oct 23, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #5 of 54
It's overall very nice. It's a little faster than 1.5 I think, and there's some nice new features. However, one thing I DO NOT like is the new visual style. It's very boring and looks horrible beside other browsers like Safari, or even IE7. Prime suspects include the horrible green "Go" button beside the address bar.

I also don't like the fact that the drop down tab list is there ALL THE TIME, as opposed to only there when there is too many tabs to keep on the screen.

Memory usage seems fine, although to be fair I've never experienced any of the memory leak issues everyone else seems to have. I've never seen mines go over 60,000k, but then again I usually only keep a few tabs open at the one time, no extensions either.

Oct 24, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #6 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by BodiesOfLight
Anyone know if this'll use less system resourses then the current version? Or more or what?

I'm pretty curious and anxious to use/try it, sounds like it's going to be nice.

Some (but not all) of Firefox's infamous memory leaks has been taken care of in 2.0, and indeed it hogs less RAM. The built-in spell checker is handy too.

Oct 24, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #8 of 54
I downloaded it last night and it's crashed a few times already. The older version was a bit unstable as well. Might it have to do with the "Azerty III" theme that I downloaded? Has anyone else been having stability issues?

Oct 25, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #10 of 54
Been running it all day for the past ~50 hours.

Like it better. No instability issues (knock on Grado woodie). REALLY like the spell check.

It does seem a little faster to me as well.

Oct 25, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #11 of 54
Seems fine to me, not a whole lot different. Maybe a bit smoother. In case anyone is a user of Fasterfox, you can get a compatible version here.

Oct 25, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #12 of 54
I'm using it right now, so far so good.

One of my fave extensions doesn't work (Tab Mix Plus), also session saver and Sort Bookmarks, but I'm hopeful they will be updated.

The built-in spell checker works great.

Oct 25, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #14 of 54
I also do not like the new tab system, I much preferred the tabs 1.5 style, with the close tab button fixed at the right hand side and the tabs getting smaller and smaller instead of disappearing into the drop down bar. The built in spell checker is a marvelous bit of kit, but really its not good enough to make up for the fact that there isn't a "v1.5 tabs" option to tick in the configuration settings. It cannot possibly that hard to add that as an option.

Oct 25, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #15 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
I also do not like the new tab system, I much preferred the tabs 1.5 style, with the close tab button fixed at the right hand side and the tabs getting smaller and smaller instead of disappearing into the drop down bar. The built in spell checker is a marvelous bit of kit, but really its not good enough to make up for the fact that there isn't a "v1.5 tabs" option to tick in the configuration settings. It cannot possibly that hard to add that as an option.

Just wait patiently for the extension to arrive that will offer a different tab setup...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back