Firearms buffs... place to discuss larger rifles
Nov 14, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #4 of 30
Well, in the USA, anything above a .40 caliber centerfire cartridge is considered large caliber. There is an official 0.50 caliber club that meets somewhere in the open spaces of the western US, so do a search. Then, there is the muzzleloading community that regulary breech loads 0.50 and up to 0.75 caliber antique black powder rifles too. You simply need to be more specific. There's a club and Internet website for very niche shooting communities. I have a bazillion firearms links that I collect.

Nov 14, 2005 at 7:38 AM Post #5 of 30
I worked at gun store for a year and I tried to find a good website to read about guns but found the vast majority of them to be full of complete B.S. The only good ones I found dealt with class three stuff and the reason they are good is because there are so many laws and regulations on class three weapons that you can't get away with B.S. Post or pm me what you are looking for and I will do my best to find you a reliable source of information or opinions, I can make a few phone calls if need be, I know some very knowledgable people. The problem with the gun community is a large percentage of the population are what I like to call "Dale Grible." I have found that reliable firearm advice is hard to find online.

Nov 14, 2005 at 7:55 AM Post #6 of 30
.50 caliber!!! Holy Moly... what do you shoot at with that?.. man hole covers?? I guess watermellons and soda cans are pointless
icon10.gif

Wouldn't the recoil knock you over?

Doesnt the A-10 fire .50-.75 caliber bullets from a minigun?

Were do you buy one? I'm assuming its illegal in CA?

Sorry.. gun noob here...

Nov 14, 2005 at 9:32 AM Post #8 of 30
Welly, specifically the interest is in antimateriel and limited long-range antipersonnel scenarios. Think Cheytac, Barrett, EDM, etc. Ideally a forum where servicemen are known to hang out.

Nov 14, 2005 at 2:25 PM Post #9 of 30
The gang at Dillon refurb miniguns from airplanes, and regularly have "ROCK AND ROLL" parties out in the AZ desert - they are enamored of the big stuff - they can hook you up with others. WWW.BluePress.com

Happy "Thumpin"!

[EDIT] You might find interesting this just in about a C-130 gunship out in another desert: http://lvlranch.com/images/iraqiinsurgents-takeout.wmv that was from about 2.5 miles away! (Not for faint of heart)

Nov 14, 2005 at 2:36 PM Post #10 of 30
www.biggerhammer.net
www.snipersparadise.com/sniperchat
www.sniperworld.com (look at the book list)

FYI, the A-10's main gun fires 30mm projectiles cast of depleted uranium and is classed as a cannon. U.S. federal law classes anything firing cased ammunition over .50 as a "destructive device" which would be either banned or specially licensed. Practice seems to indicate that antimaterial/antivehicle capabilities begin somewhere around projectiles of .30 caliber and 2500FPS; think .308Win/7.62NATO for a floor. For most of us, if we look around at all vehicles and structures we commonly see during the day, there will be nothing that a .50BMG caliber weapon will not destroy.

Nov 14, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #11 of 30
As far as I know the .50 is still legal in CA and many other states. The difference is that you can only buy the single shot version. You may be able to get the 5-10 round version (Barrett make one of the best IMO) in other states.

kramer5150 - yes the .50 does have a little kick but the big thing is really the actual explosion of the powder sending the bullet off. Depending on the grain there is so much powder you can feel the wind kind of blast you in the face like an M1000 on steroids or something... it's pretty kewl

Nov 14, 2005 at 4:40 PM Post #13 of 30
If you are asking me, I mean "single shot bolt action" as opposed to "semi-auto" with a 5-10 round capacity

Nov 14, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #14 of 30
I remember watching a guy shoot his .50bmg at a 300yd outdoor range and the percussion from the shot would ruffle your pants legs. The cartridges are kinda expensive and they are pretty heavy. Much heavier than a standard hunting or police sniper rifle.

Nov 14, 2005 at 5:22 PM Post #15 of 30
Honestly speaking, I don't see any justified use of .50BMG weapons in a civilian situation. But thank the lord that we have the Americans to say "**** that" and provide a ready market for proving these things
evil_smiley.gif
Thanks for the links, and keep them coming if you have more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back