Fiona Apple's new album...
Oct 4, 2005 at 12:07 AM Post #4 of 17
Huh, I'm a fairweather fan at best so I don't really know the backstory. Just noticed something about it's impending release so listened to "Pawn" for the first time in several years and finding I like it better than I did back then.

Guess I'll visit Allofmp3 first then...

Oct 4, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #5 of 17
Can't wait. Quote:

I downloaded it months ago thinking Sony would never release it. It's good.

All but 2 tracks were re-recorded with a new producer. Reviews I've seen where they compare the two versions seem to like the new versions beter. All reviews I've read so far have been raves (around 5 so far).

Oct 4, 2005 at 12:54 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Can't wait. All but 2 tracks were re-recorded with a new producer. Reviews I've seen where they compare the two versions seem to like the new versions beter. All reviews I've read so far have been raves (around 5 so far).

I'm really anxious to check this out...
I too have had the "original" thinking it was never going to be released, and will definitely be picking up the "new" version tomorrow.
I definitely think there are some strong songs there, but the first go around definitely sounded to me like a Jon Brion album with Fiona doing vocals... his influence has always been strong but it almost seemed overpowering this time around. The prospect of a stripped-down production appeals to me because I think her voice is the only instrument that really needs to be showcased.

Oct 5, 2005 at 5:57 AM Post #7 of 17
Read several reviews in the past couple days (newspapers, magazines etc. ) and also heard one on the local public radio station. All were at least somewhat negative about this cd, the best of the lot called it bearable. Basically they said it was apparent why the record company felt it wasnt worth releasing. Two of these reviewers were big fans of her previous effort too, which is a great concern given what they seemed to think of this cd. Lets hope they were wrong.

JC

Oct 5, 2005 at 1:15 PM Post #8 of 17
I've had the version of Extraordinary Machine that was leaked on the Net months ago and love it. The tone is different than her previous efforts but every bit as good in my opinion. Don't let paid reviewers make up your mind for you. Listen yourself and then decide. There are plenty of sources online for accessing samples so you can try before you buy.

Oct 5, 2005 at 5:08 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfall
Read several reviews in the past couple days (newspapers, magazines etc. ) and also heard one on the local public radio station. All were at least somewhat negative about this cd, the best of the lot called it bearable. Basically they said it was apparent why the record company felt it wasnt worth releasing. Two of these reviewers were big fans of her previous effort too, which is a great concern given what they seemed to think of this cd. Lets hope they were wrong.

JC

Well not going on what people said and just listening to the album, I thought if you liked her last album you would like this one. Again I didn't think it was done for commercial success but done because of her love of making music. And if anything that leads itself not to be liked but the masses because it is alittle artistic.

Thought the uncut version I heard was more artistic then other two albums and there was a circus sound to the album. If you heard it you know what I am talking about. Again nothing wrong with this but I am guessing the re-mastering of the album, pushed the album to be more commercially viable.

Oct 5, 2005 at 5:32 PM Post #13 of 17
amazon.com's listeners gave it 4.5 our of 5 stars. The cover looks a bit Bjork-esque... I really dug "Pawn", probably moreso than "Tidal". For $10.99 at amazon, I'll be picking it up fo' sho'..

Oct 5, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #14 of 17
I heard there was a bunch of hoopla about this. I'm still really excited about the prospect of a Brion/Apple album and have heard several different stories about why that isn't the one we're getting ranging from the studio squelching it because they didn't approve of her collaborating with Brion to Apple and Brion having some sort of falling out. What's the deal? Anyone have the real story?

My roommate said he heard a sample of the new version after hearing the Brion version and was hugely disappointed ("They took out the orchestra and replaced it with a guitar and chintzy drum kit! This is going to be LAME." I believe that was the gist of his rant.)

Anyhow, I'm sure I'll check out the official release soon, but I'm going to be on vigilante lookout for a better copy of the Brion version. The mp3s I have (even though they are 320 kbps) are hellasibilant and sound compressed.

Oct 5, 2005 at 7:50 PM Post #15 of 17
Apple now claims she was the one who pulled the album, not the record company. She wanted to re-do the songs with a new producer for a fresh start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back