Finishing my system
Mar 7, 2006 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Target1

100+ Head-Fier
I'm trying to decide what to do to complete the last piece of my system, the source. Currenlty I have a set of SR225s, and HD580s. I just purchased a Gilmore Lite, and I'm almost ready to leave this forum behind (until I graduate law school). I think I can maybe put $200 together, but even after doing extensive research I'm not sure what to do. I've considered getting a used CD player, and ending there, but I'm loath to give up the convenience of HDD music. For computer hardware, I have a home built gaming machine, and will soon have a macbook pro. Can I get some suggestions on the most cost effective way to finish my system. I'm willing to use either computer as my primary music box, and will rip lossless if I go this route. The Macbook has a optical digital output if this is usefull, and I have a pretty crappy sound card currently in the gaming machine. Not even sure what I put in there 3 years ago. Will a decent DAC just work with everything, or will a sound card upgrade be essential with this route? This is a confusing topic, and I still may just get a CDP to avoid second guessing myself.

Target

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #2 of 4
You're killing, just killing me.

I'm dying to get a MacBook Pro, but I'm on a fixed income
mad.gif
, but semi-retired
icon10.gif

$200? after you're spending $2K on a notebook? and you already have a gilmore light?

My suggestion, your choice of optical (MacBook Pro) or USB DAC.

If you want an even more transportable rig, a smaller amp.

At $300 Micro DAC would be awesome for your needs its optical and USB so you can you use it with MAC or XP. Surely you can muster up another $100.

Browse this forum some more for more of my biased opinions and suggestions on laptop and Micro DAC rigs.

MacBook Pro? (See my wishlist and pics of my iBook Rig below.) You're killing me, salt in a wound. . . .

eggosmile.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 1:04 PM Post #4 of 4
So they micro DAC will turn either of my computers into decent sources? My budget is so tight because I'm going to be doing more schooling next year, and the macbook pro will be payed for by loans, making 'fun' items tough to justify. I'll do some more research on the micro DAC.

Target

Users who are viewing this thread

Back