Finished my voigt pipes a few days ago...listening impressions
Sep 13, 2001 at 9:56 PM Post #31 of 46
yeah, that amp is absolutely gorgeous. I wish I could have seen it in real life...

Sep 14, 2001 at 8:42 PM Post #34 of 46
a few more thoughts on my speakers thus far:

I'm dissapointed by only two things right now. The sound does seem reasonably flat and there certainly is bass, but there's no impact. While I want major, visceral impact, there isn't even the slightest bass impact whatsoever. these speakers are way too laid back! This might be due to all the stuffing I used, and to find out if that's the case I'm going to try Rick's varnish trick ASAP. The second thing I'm dissapointed with is the soundstage. The soundstage itself seems wide, but there isn't enough depth or precision. I have a vague idea of where the performers are, but that's not enough. I want a clearer, deeper soundstage. I suppose I might have to use a different driver to achieve that, but which driver? I'd sure like to try the Babb 534, but that's sorta spendy. Still, it may be worth it, especially if the bass and treble extend further. And I'm also thinking of getting one of those JBL drivers to see if they're an improvement. Anyway, that's about all.

Sep 14, 2001 at 9:01 PM Post #35 of 46
If you are lacking impact,then I would say you over stuffed the cabinet.Try just adding stuffing in the "pinch point" above the speaker and then add a piece of thick wool felt or even a piece of thick foam on the wall directly behind the driver.

The "dull" sound and imprecise imaging are definately not traits of single driver speakers so most of your problems come down to getting the damping correct and placing them correctly.If you need more bass try cormer placement,though that can bring another set of difficulties such as early reflections,also eassily taken care of with wall treatments such as diffusors

This speaker will never bowl you over with bass simply due to woofer size limitations but what bass you do get should be detailed and have impact.

You want killer bass throw a corner horn subwoofer into the mix , not an easy build though.Second choice-I have plans from an old 1976 Audio Magazine (now defunct) by Hodges.It is a big ass five foot tall bass reflex subwoofer using a JBL 15" driver (not cheap but what is ?).Maybe I could scan it and get it to ya

Ricaboomchickaboomboom

Sep 15, 2001 at 3:58 PM Post #36 of 46
I don't want killer bass, I'm sure you know that I'm not a basshead these days. but I do want impact. Skippy told me that if he puts his head near the vent in his voigt pipe his eyes start vibrating from the bass impact. When I put my head near the vent I hear bass, but that's it. no impact to speak of. That's sort of aggrivating to me. it might be because of the fold, so maybe some angled reflectors would help that. And as far as stuffing is concerned, that's exactly what i did rick...at first. but I found that wasn't enough, so I really crammed the stuffing into the top and added some directly behind the driver. But it was the only way I could bring the midrange down. Maybe I can replace the felt with something else and have better results.

Sep 15, 2001 at 4:29 PM Post #37 of 46
Well if your woodworking skills are up to it maybe you want to try a TQWT (tapered quarter wave tube) which is kinda sorta a folded voight .I had planned to actually try this design myself but time is limited so it never came off though I am sitting on a ****load of drivers.The other option is to tune your present speaker (and the varnish is specifically meant to cure your midrange problem by damping the cone rather than the entire enclosure) and then adding a simple band- pass subwoofer.If you check the Polk speaker site you can find some plans for simple subs meant for auto sound but no reason you can't use one at home.

BTW-look at "The Horn" from the Horn Shop,uses basically the same driver as yours but they seemed to get it right,nice looking too

Sep 15, 2001 at 5:21 PM Post #38 of 46
hey, I know what a TQWT is!
biggrin.gif

Have a link for the horn shop?

Sep 16, 2001 at 12:41 AM Post #40 of 46
just for kicks, i put the rat shack 1197 fostex clone into my voigt pipes using a makeshift cardboard coupler to fit the 4" driver into the 5 1/4" hole. the highs on the 1197 are pronounced and a bit "tizzy" but it doesn't sound half bad in the pipe. there's less bass than the 1354, but i kinda like it anyway.

but i just bought some pillows that were on sale and i ripped out the fiberfill stuffing. tonite i'm gonna take out the fibreglass insulation in my pipe and try the 1354 voigt pipes with some polyfill stuffing.

i also picked up some wood and pvc piping. hopefully i'll be building some boxes for the 1197's later.

Sep 16, 2001 at 12:57 AM Post #41 of 46
picture comparing the Voigt pipe to the Hawaii 5.0

http://melhuish.org/audio/images/Herbret+VP+Hawai.jpg

Full article,a very good read dealing with DIY full range driver projects

http://melhuish.org/audio/nyblast.htm

and for some reason I like the way these guys look,of course I would add a super tweeter over 10khz

http://melhuish.org/audio/images/bb99sys.jpg

and another TQWT/5.0 comparison

http://a3.cpimg.com/image/F1/B5/4854...-028001E0-.jpg

A little late folks but I was out hiking all day , I needed a diversion real bad

Sep 16, 2001 at 3:43 AM Post #43 of 46
man... no matter how much i stuff these voigt pipes, they still sound boomy. right now i like the hawaii's over the voigt pipe.

Sep 16, 2001 at 3:51 AM Post #44 of 46
was just thinking that a really cheap surround system could be made with either A) pair of Voigt pipes for front,TQWT rear pair and 5.0 front or B) four TQWT and a 5.0 or C) 5.0X5,all plus a sub of course (bandpass if nearfield such as behind a sofa or ported/horn in a corner)-just a thought

Sep 16, 2001 at 5:22 AM Post #45 of 46
I think I'm going to try making some speakers using the Babb 534. It's supposed to be a great driver...but I think I need the theil (?) small parameters first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back