Finished my DIY Subwoofer Remote
Feb 25, 2006 at 6:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

xluben

500+ Head-Fier
I originally posted this in the DIY forum, but I thought the speaker people may have some interest:

Here was my problem:

Quote:

Right now I have a dual 2.1 setup with a pair of Dayton BR-1's in the Main terminals of my reciever and a pair of Panasonic satellites in the Remote terminals. I have an RCA 12" 200 watt subwoofer connected to the Pre Out.

I can press Main and get the Daytons and the sub or push Remote and get the Panasonics and the sub. The only problem is that the speakers have different sensitivity and sometimes I don't want the sub on at all.

My main goal is to have an easy on/off for the sub (the reciever can't do this). But as long as I'm doing that I figured it would be nice to be able to control the sub's volume (it's volume control is on the back of the enclosure and impossible to reach).

My reciever does have bass/mid/treble controls but I'm pretty sure the bass control will also affect the Dayton's, so I want seperate sub control.

This is what I ended up with:

Quote:

Originally Posted by xluben
I made my remote, and it's working great.

Here's a pic:

subremote0189ws.jpg

Here's the parts I used:

Enclosure
RCA Jacks
SPST Rocker Switch
100K Stereo Audio Pot
Knob

It was all under $20:

Shopping Cart

You may have noticed that I got a SPST switch and a stereo pot. I didn't realize my mistake until I got home, so I just decided to work with it, and make the volume control mono, which wouldn't matter because I only have one subwoofer.

My next problem was figuring out how to wire up the pot (which Radioshack has no info for). It was an ALPS 100KA2X which is not on the Alps website, and I couldn't find a datasheet at Digi-Key or Mouser or Google. I eventually figured it out, and wiring it up caused no problems.

The switch I got uses a 3/4" hole and I only have upt to a 1/2" drill bit, so I had to dremel out the rest. Luckily it ended up looking fine.

The enclosure I got was the smallest availabe, and getting everything in was kind of tight, but I think it ended up being the perfect size.

I went back to Radioshack later and got:

Y-Split RCA Cables (2)
Split Tubing

to finish off the project.

It is working exactly as I hoped (set the sub to full volume and the remote goes from 0 to 100% volume, and the switch totally stops the signal to the sub).

And I think it turned out looking pretty good!

Feb 25, 2006 at 6:54 AM Post #3 of 3
Well, my sub has pretty low sound quality but I can't really hear a difference before and after.

If you are good at soldering it shouldn't really just matter unless you don't use decent components (to make the remote).

I guess the pot could reduce sound quality, but it is not noticeable (to me).

Also, it would be easy to do this in stereo with the same pot I used and a DPDT switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back