Fingerstyle guitarists on vinyl
Sep 10, 2011 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

papomaster

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys!

I just love the prat, dynamics and sheer energy that comes from listening to a vinyl album on my setup. I also enjoy most fingerstyle guitarists, including Ross, Mckee, Mongrain, DeGrassi.... and some newcomers like Benoit Girard. However, the only albums I could find were old issues of Michael Hedges' past albums, and Songs for 5 and 12 strings by Leo Kottke. Are there some more albums people could recommend?

Sep 10, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #2 of 7
I would recommend putting those names in Pandora music player and see what comes up. Maybe you already like Kurt Vile, but...

Sep 10, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #3 of 7
Are you buying new vinyl or something?

There wouldn't be much I would know of, though I'm a strict Fingerstyle ONLY guitarist myself.

I know John Mayer uses fingersyle, but not for electric

I learned how to only finger pick fro watching Jeff Beck

Mark Knopfier
Robbie Krieger
Lindsey Buckingham
Ry cooder
Derek Trucks
Albert King

To name a few

But, to tell you, there isn't a tone difference of finger picking vs plectrum picking. It just bases down to the guitarist making more use of his fingers instead of a single pick

Apr 23, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #7 of 7
was thinking the same myself. i own all the michael hedges, de grassi and preston reed LP's and have a fair few other fingerstyle vinyl's in my collection. some of andy's stuff would kill on vinyl. 

my most recent fingerstyle LP purchase was one guy buttery (from south africa i believe) who pressed the most beautiful 180 gram audiophile vinyl. not sure if there's any left, but take a listen here- http://guybuttery.bandcamp.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back