Fine adjustments to volume if amp's stepped volume control too coarse?
Jul 3, 2017 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

rgs9200m

Headphoneus Supremus
Is there a way to use Jriver (or other software) to make fine adjustments to volume when the stepped volume control on a headphone amplifier has too-wide steps?
Does anyone do this without degrading the sound quality too much?
Thank you.

Jul 8, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #2 of 4
The only thing I can think of logically would be to reduce the output of whatever is feeding the amp - so if your source has pre-out controls, or if the software has a volume control, dial that back a bit, and it may give you more "range" on the amp's volume dial. That said, it won't change the step size on a stepped attenuator, but if you fiddle with both controls you may be able to dial-in a listening level you like. If that makes sense.

Quality loss could vary from "quite a bit" (e.g. channel imbalance, etc) with some analog pre-outs, to "you likely won't notice a thing" with cleaner digital pre-outs or software controls. Advice would be to tinker around with it, and see how you like it.

Jul 26, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #3 of 4
Is there a way to use Jriver (or other software) to make fine adjustments to volume when the stepped volume control on a headphone amplifier has too-wide steps?
Does anyone do this without degrading the sound quality too much?
Thank you.

In my tests using any digital volume in software degrades the sound. Just as EQ does (in software), and to an extent hardware as well. Have you looked at a replacement pot? I use a 48 step ladder unit, sounds great.

Jul 26, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #4 of 4
Best practiced is to set the analog volume control to “just a little bit too loud” and use the software volume control for fine tuning.

Modest use of digital volume control is in general not audible.
Of course you can try this yourself.
Crank up the analog volume and lower the digital volume control at the same time.
Check if you hear any degradation and if you do, at what point.
Wouldn’t be surprised if you can reduce up to 20 dB without audible degradation.
Try the JRiver internal volume control .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back