Finding weakest link
Dec 7, 2014 at 11:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Musica Amantem

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all!

I need to tackle the next weakest link in my journey towards a gradually upgraded system. I need your help in defining that best bang-for-the buck next step, so here is my current setup:

1. I listen close range to loudspeakers: Decware DM945's (94 Db at 1Watt/1Meter, 4 Ohms, cross-overless drivers and ribbon tweeters).
2. 4PR Kimber Kable Speaker cables with naked ends, single-wiring with bridged speaker posts (6.5 ft)
3. Mini-Torii dual mono SEP tube integrated amp, single-ended RCA outputs
4. Decware Silver Interconnects (1.5 ft) with single-ended RCA terminals
5. Blue Jeans Bass cables through Mini Torii's line outs into a Velodyne DLS 3500 Sub line level inputs
6. Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014) 32/384 USB, DSD/DXD capable, single-ended output DAC
7. Foobar 2K player, ver 1.3.3
8. Toshiba 64 bit laptop, 6 Gb Ram, Intel core i5, Windows 8.1 and optimized with Fidelizer ver. 5.0
9. Audio Gd stock USB cable or Audioquest Forest USB cable.
10. The system is fed through a 500 Watt Trip-Lite Power conditioner/Isolation transformer
11. Power cord for amp: Hospital grade Jellyfish. Power cord for DAC: Stock Audio Gd

My listening room has been covered with 7 polyfoam 2.5" panels appropriately located and speakers are stand-mounted following Cardas's optimal symmetrical positioning relative to walls and listening spot (as per Cardas Diagrams A & B). There is a thick Persian carpet between the speakers' centerline and the sweet spot.

There are Polyfoam sheets 3/8" thick between the speakers and the stands and between the floor and the stands' bases. All components are placed on top of similar Polyfoam sheets for vibration control.

I honestly don't have a suspect weakest link, as I think these components are more or less consistent with each other and belong to the same overall sound quality level. Yet, there must be something I could do to improve it without breaking the bank and start all over again!

I'm happy with the sound I'm getting, but I always strive for that extra improvement.  Thanks for any ideas/suggestions.

Dec 7, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #2 of 7
I assume you mean besides the Mark I Wetware between your ears? :p

Have you used measurement HW/SW to tune the sub placement and room acoustics? The DLS 3500 is a decent sub, but not really at the same level as the rest of your system.

Dec 7, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #4 of 7
It's been almost 10 years since I last shopped for subwoofers - so I really haven't followed the market. You might try the subwoofer forum over at http://www.avsforum.com/

Dec 7, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 7
This DL 3500 is about 7-8 years old. so what makes you think it is sub-par? I respect your opinion, I just need to learn the reasons so I can look for the right characteristics in a potential replacement. Thanks.

Dec 8, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #6 of 7
I'm just looking at the audiophile nature of your other components and the sub appears to be the component that is more consumer oriented than the other components in your system. I just thought you might be interested in raising the sub to the "niche audiophile" level of your other components. But, that's why I asked whether you had actually done any in-room measurements. That might lead you in a particular direction - especially since you already have some acoustic panels in the room. I think it might be interesting to know what the measurements will show about how the sub is blending with the mains, as well as how the low frequency extension and roll-off looks. Distortion waterfalls might also be interesting - I've seen reports that talk about how ported subs like the Velodyne will extend lower, but have higher distortion than sealed subs.

Besides, I didn't say your Velodyne was sub-par. You asked for the weakest link. I offered the sub as a candidate for that label.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back