Finding the right Tubes for MG Head
Sep 25, 2001 at 3:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

RGA

100+ Head-Fier
I have read some of your responses to yube suggestions for this amp...I know you love those Sylvania's Bryan.

The only site I could find selling tubes is at http://store.yahoo.com/thetubestore/index.html

Being that I live in Canada(so shipping and duty will be far less) and all these tube prices are in Canadian funds...do you think their selection is solid...I know Bryan...they're sold out of Sylvania...

I will be a newbie to tubes...but from what they have in 12AX7 and EL84s...what would serve me best...I don't want to spend tons...Are there any Giant killers. They seem to like a Tesla JJ, and Matsu****a for EL84s and for 12AX7s they seem to like everything. http://store.yahoo.com/thetubestore/12ax7review.html

Anyone know of any other Canadian distributors of tubes?

Sep 25, 2001 at 3:44 AM Post #2 of 14
Here are some other sites to get tubes:
www.upscaleaudio.com

http://www.newtube.com/content/ (I got tubes from these guys)

Anyways, if you want to stay cheap, then stick with current production tubes (versus new old stocks)...

I have had good luck with Ei EL84s and a Svetlana 12AX7. Recently I acquired a Sovtek 12AX7WA (from my ART DI/O) and it sounds fabolous! It sounds a bit more distant than the Svetlana but sounds more 'magical'... I like these over the Svetlanas particularily in non vocal music.

New production tubes are a little over $10 each usually... NOS are much more expensive.

I'd get two Ei EL84s and, more importantly, a good 12AX7 like the Sovtek 12AX7LPS (I don't know why they say the 12AX7WA is a piece of crap but it sounds pretty good to me).

Sep 25, 2001 at 5:26 AM Post #5 of 14
Thanks guys...should have checked more in depth...sure are a lot of MG Head owners.

Just found out that it's only available in Black(Dohh!! I wanted Gold - darn it all - their website said it came in Gold
frown.gif
...The New DT version uses JJ Tesla's which are supposed to be not too bad.
cool.gif

I'll try out several I bet...that is the fun of tubes right
biggrin.gif
or can it be a nightmare
tongue.gif

Thanks again.

Sep 25, 2001 at 6:08 AM Post #6 of 14
hmmm... I'll be getting my MG Head in a few days. hopefully I get the JJ Tesla's.

Sep 26, 2001 at 4:16 PM Post #7 of 14
Call or email the guy at http://www.leedselect.com/tubes.html He has many Sylvania JHS triple mica black plates. That's a great tube, and what I've settled into for the last month or so. And then just keep your eyes open for some Gold Brands. They're close in sonics, and to my ears each has a different advantage over the other, though ever so slight. Try each. They're both OH so tasty.

Brian.

Sep 27, 2001 at 1:54 AM Post #8 of 14
IMHO try the stock tubes first so you can get acclimated to the sound of the MG Head with your cans and source. Jumping into tube-rolling is nice, but you may not have a reference point to begin comparing all the tubes we are mentioning here. The thread I started (dhwilkin had a link for it) was made after I listened to my home rig and the stock tubes for 3-4 weeks, 2-4 hours daily.

I'd recommend the Mullard CV4004 and a pair of Ei (Yugos) El484s. There's more bass (lower and fuller), still great detail, vocals are clear and smooth.

Happy hunting.

Regards - reynman

Sep 27, 2001 at 2:36 AM Post #9 of 14
Want my stock tubes?
cool.gif

Brian.

Sep 27, 2001 at 5:39 AM Post #10 of 14
Well, I will definitely be using the stock tubes...the JJ Teslas are supposed to be fairly good. After a healthy listen...I'll start experimenting. I've noted some of your suggestions...and when I start tube rolling(funny term? Roll them where? LOL) I think I'll start with your suggestions.

Hey Brian...Did you ever get that bass problem under control? I'm not a big bass hound anyway...but other than that how are you finding the Head? Is it worth the money? A giant killer?

Thanks.

Sep 27, 2001 at 6:11 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Joseph Lau
Hi ! please check my post of How to mod MG-head to Choke Load OTL if you use high Impedance Headphone. It is as easy as ABC !

Thanks, Joseph! Just so you all know, his post can be found by clicking on this link.

Sep 27, 2001 at 2:44 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by RGA
Hey Brian...Did you ever get that bass problem under control? I'm not a big bass hound anyway...but other than that how are you finding the Head? Is it worth the money? A giant killer?

Thanks.

I have not yet received the caps and things from Welbourne Labs which I ordered weeks ago. I don't know what is going on, and in fact thanks for reminding me - I should call them.

The bass is lean IMHO, which is also characteristic of the Senn headphones. I've heard opinions from others who disagree. *shrug* I'm not sure how or why they disagree. A CD on my home stereo compared to my MG Head / Senns contains fully extended and lively bass that is not quite there when I listen through the can rig. But, ohhhhhh, the midrange. It doesn't get much better than this. Bottom line - tubes make ALL the difference in the world. Tube roll, and you'll see. My stock Teslas are the worst sounding of the bunch I have.

I don't know if giant killer is a term I want to start throwing around (that happens all too often), but the sound is oh so pleasing. BTW, I'm considering selling my MG Head DT (with the killer tubes) if I do go the Cyber-30 route.... FYI

Brian.

Sep 28, 2001 at 6:43 AM Post #14 of 14
Based on my research here, I went with briantf27's suggestion of the Sylvania Gold Pin 5751 (in fact I bought it from him, thanks briantf27), and reynman's Ei (Yugos) EL484's.

A definitive improvement over the stock tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back