Finding the right pairing between headphones and DAC/amp for the price
Oct 17, 2009 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

BordrGuy108

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

First time posting! Lately I've been thinking a lot about getting myself some nice headphones. I have a few friends who are big fans Grados (SR 125i, SR 60). I'm thinking I'd like to pick up some 225i's, but after reading some posts on here I realize that I need to get some sort of sound card or DAC / amp for my desktop pc, which is what I'd primarily be listening to my music on. I currently am just using on board audio. I have been searching these forums and come across a lot of posts about the Compass from audio-gd, the Zero DAC, and some other stuff as well, but I'm not sure if I can really afford these units.

I think I'd prefer to spend around $400 max for everything I need (headphones, DAC and amp) and I was wondering if any of you have any opinions on this? I guess I'm worried about buying the 225i's and it being a little bit of a waste as I can't quite afford to pick up something as nice as a Compass. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Oct 17, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 10
corda 3move and an SR80 or MS-1 might make a nice rig. Or else I would probably look at Total Bithead and the iBasso offerings, or maybe a used compass. You can find something nice in your budget easily, imo, just look around and check the FS forums for good deals.

Oct 17, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #3 of 10
You could get a 225i for about $150 used and then buy a Hifiman EF2 from head-direct for something like $210 including shipping. That's got you at about $360. Even if you want to buy completely new you'll have it all for like $420. From what I've read the EF2 has great synergy with Grado.

Even if you don't get any DAC and Amp, it's definitely not a waste. The improvement of sound from getting new headphones alone is really amazing. Especially Grados, which people say don't need so much amping, but improve with them.

Oct 17, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #4 of 10
Interesting thread, I'm basically in the same position looking at the 225i model, and what would be a appropriate addition hardware wise to run from my pc. I'm currently using on board and would assume a dedicated headphone amp such as the EF2 would be better bang for buck then say the Asus STX or ST range of internal sound cards??

look forward to more reply's
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 18, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for the feedback! After looking around a bit more I think my decision might be between the iBasso D2+ Boa and the Hifiman EF2.

From what you said, Nike T, it sounds like the EF2 might be a better pairing for the 225i. Do you or anyone else have any further thoughts on how these units stack up against each other?

Oct 18, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #6 of 10
If you want value and you're not actually going to be using it portably, don't go for a portable amp. They're generally considered to not compare to home amps value-wise here.

Personally I have not heard those Grados (only the MS1s from a crappy source), but since people do say around here that they don't necessarily need an amp, I'm not sure if you're going to be happy with the amount of improvement you get from an amp such as the EF2 considering it costs more than the actual headphones you're getting. I guess you always have the option to sell it off and only lose on shipping too.

Reason I'm saying that is I wasn't initially that blown away with the improvement the compass gave to my HD600s which are generally regarded to require or benefit considerably from an amp. I've since warmed to the improvement and consider it was worthwhile, but I have no illusions that the improvements are quite subtle in a lot of ways and not black and white, especially at first.

Oct 18, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #7 of 10
You have made some good points there RedSky, but in regards to BordrGuy saying his source will be from his computer via his on-board chip, having the added benefit of a DAC incorporated into a amp unit, it would make a considerable difference i would think?

Hmmm its hard when theres so many options out there, id be looking at the bigger units as i would like it to be solid and not move around, which i could imagine it would do if you had a rather thick cord attached to a more portable sized unit.

Oct 18, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by BordrGuy108 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the feedback! After looking around a bit more I think my decision might be between the iBasso D2+ Boa and the Hifiman EF2.

From what you said, Nike T, it sounds like the EF2 might be a better pairing for the 225i. Do you or anyone else have any further thoughts on how these units stack up against each other?

Where did you read that the EF2 is a better pairing with the 225i's? I have been looking for a direct comparison, but I've never actually seen one, so I went with the gamma1 and the Little Dot I+, which are both coming soon. They are both great with the 225i's from what I've read, but the reason I went with this is because the DAC of the EF2 is definitely not up to par with a Gamma1, and that's more important than the amp used, again from what I've read. Either way I'm sure you will hear some improvement, but as Redsky said, if you don't you can just sell it off.

Oct 18, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by oblivious /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have made some good points there RedSky, but in regards to BordrGuy saying his source will be from his computer via his on-board chip, having the added benefit of a DAC incorporated into a amp unit, it would make a considerable difference i would think?

I agree, which is why I recommended the 3move/total bithead/ibasso. I think a dac is going to be more important with grados/alessandro. But...:

Quote:

Hmmm its hard when theres so many options out there, id be looking at the bigger units as i would like it to be solid and not move around, which i could imagine it would do if you had a rather thick cord attached to a more portable sized unit.

that's also a good point. Something like the 3move or a d2+boa would give you the option of portability if you wanted it, but otherwise it seems that something with more heft like a Compass would be ideal. Going used on everything would probably keep you at or under budget, or else just get MS-1s.
atsmile.gif

Oct 19, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nike T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did you read that the EF2 is a better pairing with the 225i's?

Whoops. I think I must have misread what you wrote earlier.

I just really want to thank all of you for replying and turning this into such a useful thread! I've continued to research this over the last couple days and I noticed that on some other audio forums relative noobies like myself can get flamed into oblivion for asking questions like mine. I just feel that your helpfulness this is a real testament to this community and I want to express my sincere gratitude.

After reading all your posts I think I am still going to pick up either the d2+ boa or ef2. I think what I really need atm is some sort of DAC than can allow me to escape the blatant noise I hear when plugging even crappy headphones into the headphone jack on my computer. I will probably upgrade to a compass or a less portable / higher quality unit at some point, but the price range and quality increase a portable DAC / amp will give me will more than fulfill my needs for the time being.

Once my stuff arrives I'll post back on this thread and let you guys know how it turned out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back