Finding The Right Headphones.
Jan 27, 2009 at 12:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

anti_arrows

New Head-Fier
Hey. I've been lurking for a while and now it's time to make my decision.

I'm looking for a pair of headphones to use on my mp3 player (Sansa 8GB View) to listen to rock/metal. I might also be using them for gaming, plugging them into my tower (Creative Labs X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series).

I'm looking for something circumaural. I've debated over a few headphones and now I need to ask the experts. I've looked at:

Sennheiser HD555
Audio Technica AD700

I'm looking to spend around $70 - $90 if I am to just use them on my mp3 player or around $170 if they'll be good for my mp3 player and gaming. (To me a good gaming headphone will allow me to detect when players are behind me or around me and give fair immersion. The sound card I'm using does help a lot with this but I suppose an open sound field will help to.)

Any decisions or suggestions for other headphones would be greatly appreciated.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT : List edited due to suggestions.

Jan 27, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #2 of 8
did you say rock/metal? - look at the SR60,80 or MS1(but they are all supaaural)

But for games? - AD700,AD500 - Great soundstage

All these headphones don't need a dedicated headphone amp to perform well.

Jan 27, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #3 of 8
Grados/Alessandros are open they'll leak sound. If thats not an issue they are great cans :p

Jan 27, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by chews89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did you say rock/metal? - look at the SR60,80 or MS1(but they are all supaaural)

I agree.

Quote:

But for games? - AD700,AD500 - Great soundstage

Having owned it, I highly disagree with the AD500 having any sort of coherent soundstage at all, let alone one I'd classify as "great." The A500, however, is a much better headphone supposedly, though it's closed. I cannot comment on the AD700 as I've not heard it.

Quote:

All these headphones don't need a dedicated headphone amp to perform well.

Agreed.

Jan 27, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #5 of 8
D1000 while closed acts like an open if it´s anything like the other models in the series. Otherwise from what I hear about that line it sure sounds like headphones I would like. I do have the Proline 750 and now a PRO 900 and I just love them for gaming. They have the bass response you need and good soundstage... Depends though on what game I play a lot how good the positional audio is but it was better than the DT 770 PRO and Audio Technica A900 anyway.

Jan 27, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 8
So are there any cans on my list that you would take off/put on for sure?

I think the Grados would be good for me but I hear there REALLY uncomfortable.

I've read a couple reviews of the AD700 and they say there great for gaming but are a LITTLE lacking in the bass department saying the 555's have a little more bass but the AD700's are better than the 555's in regards of sound stage. I think it's a face off between the two now.

How do the 555's and AD700's do for rock/metal music?

Jan 29, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #7 of 8
i would get the AD700 because they are great for gaming... smaller amount of bass is not really an issue just use the EQ :p But if soundstage is important go for that...

Jan 29, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #8 of 8
I've owned both. They're both fine phones, but I preferred the AD700, so I sold the HD555. If bass is more important to you than soundstage, you'll be slightly happier with the HD555. If you prefer soundstage, you'll be much happier with the AD700.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back