Finding the M50x really uncomfortable... Any suggestions?
Jan 25, 2015 at 2:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

C x 2

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased the M50x blue version on Amazon.ca for $175 CAD and I'm enjoying the sound so far. However, I find the headphones really uncomfortable around my jaw, I can't wear them for longer than an hour and I'm always re-adjusting them. The tip of my left ear is also pressing against the inside causing a lot of discomfort. It's gotten pretty bad and I'm about ready to return the headphones. Does anyone know any other over-ear, closed-back alternatives that can match the m50x in sound and price while staying in that price range (<$200 CAD). I mainly listen to rock, rap, and edm. 

Jan 25, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #2 of 14
Hmm, I've never heard the M50x, so I can't really offer any suggestions on headphones that sound similar to those but more comfortable. However, if you don't mind spending 20 bucks or so, you could try getting the HM5 ear pads. I believe they fit the M50x and should be more roomy/comfy than the stock m50x pads. Unsure how they will change the sound, but I figure the pleather hm5 pads shouldn't affect it too much. Hard to say how the velour hm5 pads will tho. Usually velour pads have the tendency to lessen bass and increase treble and soundstage.

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #3 of 14
  Hmm, I've never heard the M50x, so I can't really offer any suggestions on headphones that sound similar to those but more comfortable. However, if you don't mind spending 20 bucks or so, you could try getting the HM5 ear pads. I believe they fit the M50x and should be more roomy/comfy than the stock m50x pads. Unsure how they will change the sound, but I figure the pleather hm5 pads shouldn't affect it too much. Hard to say how the velour hm5 pads will tho. Usually velour pads have the tendency to lessen bass and increase treble and soundstage.

I can't really change the ear pads on the m50x without messing up the colour scheme and making them look a little weird :frowning2:. Also, they have a V-shaped sound signature.

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #4 of 14
Not sure which color of m50x you've got, but the hm5 pads come in black, white, red, and brown I believe. I think they look fine on the m50x, tho the cushions definitely look different from the stock pads becuz they have more foam and are bigger in diameter.

Heres an imgur album from some guy who changed his m50x pads to hm5 pads and also added a sennheiser headband pad.
http://imgur.com/a/0mgzJ

Though, I can understand if you'd rather not go this route. I know some people are happy with the hm5 pads on the m50x, but I'm sure others might feel differently. Hopefully someone with experience with the m50x and other headphones will be able to chime in and help you out.

Jan 25, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #6 of 14
Comfort is a such a personal thing. I would think most people would find that the M50X have decent comfort for a couple hours of wear. So you'll likely need to try on other headphones to discover ones that suit you best.

That being said, if it's the pressure from the clamp that is causing the problem and you haven't used them that much yet, this can loosen up a bit. Put them on some books to let the stretch a little.

Jan 25, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #7 of 14
  Not sure which color of m50x you've got, but the hm5 pads come in black, white, red, and brown I believe. I think they look fine on the m50x, tho the cushions definitely look different from the stock pads becuz they have more foam and are bigger in diameter.

Heres an imgur album from some guy who changed his m50x pads to hm5 pads and also added a sennheiser headband pad.
http://imgur.com/a/0mgzJ

Though, I can understand if you'd rather not go this route. I know some people are happy with the hm5 pads on the m50x, but I'm sure others might feel differently. Hopefully someone with experience with the m50x and other headphones will be able to chime in and help you out.

I've got the blue M50x's, I'll definitely consider this option if I can't find any alternatives and still find them uncomfortable in a week or so.

Quote:
  ath msr 7 .. gorgeous sound for any kind of sound .. lots of reviews already here .. try search it out
for me 50x its good but not define enough

Haha I actually might've gone for those if it wasn't way out of my budget.

Comfort is a such a personal thing. I would think most people would find that the M50X have decent comfort for a couple hours of wear. So you'll likely need to try on other headphones to discover ones that suit you best.

That being said, if it's the pressure from the clamp that is causing the problem and you haven't used them that much yet, this can loosen up a bit. Put them on some books to let the stretch a little.

I've been using them for a few days and stretching them out when I've had the chance. I've wanted to try on other headphones but there aren't really any places where I live where I can try on different pairs in my price range. D:

Jan 25, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #8 of 14
  I recently purchased the M50x blue version on Amazon.ca for $175 CAD and I'm enjoying the sound so far. However, I find the headphones really uncomfortable around my jaw, I can't wear them for longer than an hour and I'm always re-adjusting them. The tip of my left ear is also pressing against the inside causing a lot of discomfort. It's gotten pretty bad and I'm about ready to return the headphones. Does anyone know any other over-ear, closed-back alternatives that can match the m50x in sound and price while staying in that price range (<$200 CAD). I mainly listen to rock, rap, and edm. 

i have the same exact comfort issue. just packed them up today and will be sending it back to amazon. 

Jan 25, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #10 of 14
Jan 25, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #11 of 14
  Haha I saw it earlier, I didn't want to steal your thread though. The headphones you listed were a bit out of my price range, especially since I'm from Canada. Starting to wonder if I should just bite the bullet and spend a bit more...

i spent $150 on the m50x. im thinking about the ath-a900x which are $170 on amazon or $130 on ebay. sucks theres a 40 dollar difference since i have credit on amazon...

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #12 of 14
  i spent $150 on the m50x. im thinking about the ath-a900x which are $170 on amazon or $130 on ebay. sucks theres a 40 dollar difference since i have credit on amazon...

I got mine for $175 CAD which is about $140 USD. I was looking at the a900x too, until I saw that it was like $340 CAD haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back