Finding the limits of my hearing
Aug 26, 2007 at 5:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Alatriste

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, i want to know the frecuency limit to my ears. Human hearing is about 20hz to 20 khz.

I tought if a source audio file have all frecuency range (20hz to 20khz or more), and with the help of an equalizer, you can know when your ears stop hearing nothing. Any help about this??

Another question, there is a format called super audio CD. You know where i could buy this, or download some files for test?? thanks.
tongue.gif

Aug 26, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by guttorm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you can see how high you can hear here http://www.freemosquitoringtones.org/

don't crank it up to hear them, try to listen at whatever you normally listen at. I have a feeling these tones could probably f your hearing up if you blare them.

I can hear something till 19.8 khz. But if im playing with soundblaster 128 and only handle 44 khz, 20hz-20khz, where is the point?

But further than 17.8 the sound is very quiet, and hardly audible.
You think im ok?
tongue.gif
. The loudness go down and down with everysound, at first i had to get volume down because the sound was chirping.

Aug 26, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 7
The 16.7 khz piiiiiiiiiii, is very audible. That web says that people > 24 years old cant hear it.

Im 20 years old, and dont think 4 years will kill my ears that hard...

Aug 26, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #5 of 7
That site's test is wrong, weird tones on wrong sections..the whole test is f00bared

Aug 29, 2007 at 10:10 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alatriste /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But further than 17.8 the sound is very quiet, and hardly audible.
You think im ok?
tongue.gif
. The loudness go down and down with everysound, at first i had to get volume down because the sound was chirping.

Like 95% of the enjoyment you get out of music (purely talking frequency-wise here) is up to 15kHz. Everything above that is icing ON the icing on the cake. =)
I'm an audio engineer and whilst being schooled a lot of my fellow students asked the teacher how important it was for them to have perfect hearing, and he said exactly what I thought - that as long as you hear up to 15kHz you can work as an engineer and have no problems.

If you hear up to 19.8kHz, that's like crazy good. I hear up to around 18kHz.

Quote:

But if im playing with soundblaster 128 and only handle 44 khz, 20hz-20khz, where is the point?

Que..?
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 29, 2007 at 10:31 AM Post #7 of 7
My girlfriend has this really cool japanese program that beeps at a certain frequency a number of times and you have to answer how many beeps you hear.

I got to 14,000 Hz or something. If I can get the program when I see her, I'll link it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back