Finding the endgame (recommendations)
May 25, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #16 of 45
For now, I would not worry too much about your source. IEMs are not super power hungry, so power shouldn't be an issue in most cases. The main reason dedicated digital audio players are better is that they tend to clean up electronic circuit noise generated by cellphones and offer compatibility features for a wider range of audio gear. That, and parametric equalizers can be easier to use depending on the player.

The headphones/IEMs are the most important part of the audio chain starting out, so I suggest just focusing on getting that part down. If you have an issue like crackling, not enough power, battery troubles with your phone, compressed dynamic range, etc, then you should consider a dedicated audio source.

One thing I do suggest is getting a good audio player app to make sure you are utilizing your hardware without a software bottleneck. I use Neutron music player, other players are also capable of this.

If you are looking for headphones, chances are you will need to start investing in better sources because of the power requirements. Planar magnetics generally need a lot of power, and some headphones have a lot of impedance, so a digital audio player with a strong amp makes sense.

Headphones are a bit more forgiving, but this is an interesting case to consider. @InvisibleInk suggested Hifiman as an option for you, and I agree that they are pretty good, but I found the HE400se I have to be unnatural to my ears because of the tuning. I ended up settling for the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro as my reference standard because the pinna gain region and lightly elevated treble response presents music the way I hear it live tonally speaking, whereas the He400se was too dark and subdued to me. Many people consider that same set natural sounding, and it took me some digging to figure out this discrepancy.
I have noticed some crackling sometimes but cant always tell if its from the actual song or the inline mic in my cable. Will be back home saturday to test that

May 26, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #17 of 45
The 1-2-4 Tribrid combo is nice. Or a hybrid with a “safer” tuning and potentially is great! Maybe IE600 is good for you as well. I haven’t tried them but good stuff at the $500 range will vary. Since you already own an S12 and with the fit and uniqueness, they can perform above their $130-$150 range. Yume 2 is another one that packs a good punch at $199 along with the Talos with its optional BA switch (tips and fit are important).
Flagship and endgame in 2008(?) when I got Shure E500/E530s, there wasn’t many options to go to at that time unlike today $500 will only go so far towards todays endgame or flagship IEM for the brand. I'm still waiting for my pre-order Blessing3 to arrive, but straight up can tell you just from reviews, impressions, etc they can compete with other in their range of $500 IEMs. Its a brand that I only own an SSR and Aria, and they seem to be well-liked and pretty solid as a brand.(their included cables can be so-so, soundwise, so I've heard), so yeah, anything catch your eye?

Last edited:
May 26, 2023 at 12:24 AM Post #18 of 45
The 1-2-4 Tribrid combo is nice. Or a hybrid with a “safer” tuning and potentially is great! Maybe IE600 is good for you as well. I haven’t tried them but good stuff at the $500 range will vary. Since you already own an S12 and with the fit and uniqueness, they can perform above their $130-$150 range. Yume 2 is another one that packs a good punch at $199 along with the Talos with its optional BA switch (tips and fit are important).
Flagship and endgame in 2008(?) when I got Shure E500/E530s, there wasn’t many options to go to at that time unlike today $500 will only go so far towards todays endgame or flagship IEM for the brand. I'm still waiting for my pre-order Blessing3 to arrive, but straight up can tell you just from reviews, impressions, etc they can compete with other in their range of $500 IEMs. Its a brand that I only own an SSR and Aria, and they seem to be well-liked and pretty solid as a brand.(their included cables can be so-so, soundwise, so I've heard), so yeah, anything catch your eye?
Michael bruce from youtube loves the softears rsv hes smart. Thats 5BA

I looked into mest mk2 may get that or the monarch on a payment plan.

The audio hekili has one DD and 7 BAs for 300

Was checking mangird xenns top and xenns up

May 26, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #19 of 45
Mest mk2 is top-notch for its price tier and a set that I own. Plenty of others out there that trumps the Mest mk2 in price.
A question is would be if you listen to the music or listen to the IEM…
RSV is Softears. The other two, I haven’t heard anything negative/bad, a grain of salt. Good luck!

May 26, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #20 of 45
Im not sure what the difference is between unbalanced and balanced either when i looked it up they said less noise

In theory, balanced will give more power than a single-ended port, so it might be useful if you have insufficient headroom with harder to drive gear (eg low sensitivity and/or high impedance). In theory, balanced sources might give reduced crosstalk too, but whether this is audible in a a short cable used in desktop amps/dongles (compared to longer balanced cables used in large speakers/concerts) is another story.

In sources with both a balanced and single-ended port, sometimes the manufacturer crowbars the single-ended one in as an afterthought, or worse still, the single-ended port is deliberately down-throttled to let the balanced one shine. So in both specs and actual hearing, sometimes the single-ended one is perceived to be inferior within the same source. But if implemented well, single-ended sources can be very competitive in specs and sound. Quite a number of summitFI sources are purely single-ended, so it is a matter of implementation sometimes.

Im looking for the best i can get. Around the $500 area at most. This will be my last set to purchase for a while. Already have truthear hexa and s12 pro.

Thanks!

Is there anything you like or dislike about the HEXA and S12 Pro that you would like in your next purchase? I think those are quite good benchmark IEMs at their respective price points.

Additionally, what music genres do you listen to? And are you basshead/treblehead/treble sensitive etc? This will help the community fine tune their suggestions better.

May 26, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #21 of 45
In theory, balanced will give more power than a single-ended port, so it might be useful if you have insufficient headroom with harder to drive gear (eg low sensitivity and/or high impedance). In theory, balanced sources might give reduced crosstalk too, but whether this is audible in a a short cable used in desktop amps/dongles (compared to longer balanced cables used in large speakers/concerts) is another story.

In sources with both a balanced and single-ended port, sometimes the manufacturer crowbars the single-ended one in as an afterthought, or worse still, the single-ended port is deliberately down-throttled to let the balanced one shine. So in both specs and actual hearing, sometimes the single-ended one is perceived to be inferior within the same source. But if implemented well, single-ended sources can be very competitive in specs and sound. Quite a number of summitFI sources are purely single-ended, so it is a matter of implementation sometimes.

Is there anything you like or dislike about the HEXA and S12 Pro that you would like in your next purchase? I think those are quite good benchmark IEMs at their respective price points.

Additionally, what music genres do you listen to? And are you basshead/treblehead/treble sensitive etc? This will help the community fine tune their suggestions better.
I listen to very detailed stuff and metal. Also dubstep

May 26, 2023 at 4:45 AM Post #22 of 45
May 26, 2023 at 5:01 AM Post #23 of 45
YMMV, but I found the moondrop variations a bit off in tonality due to a dipped 250 Hz area and significant bump at 2.9kHz which resulted in electric guitars sounding like they were notably elevated in the center of the sound image. Also, the dynamic driver in that set isn't the most precise driver out there; I detected audible distortion from overexcursion in a couple of modern tracks.

It's overall a good set, but I think it performs better playing modern electronic music, it's performance on my metal collection was mixed IME.

IMO the Variations is technically an upgrade from the Blessing 3 due to the inclusion of the electrostat tweeters vs balanced armatures, but the upgrade is not very substantial for 200 more dollars. I would save that cash to break into summit-fi.

Last edited:
May 26, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #24 of 45
YMMV, but I found the moondrop variations a bit off in tonality due to a dipped 250 Hz area and significant bump at 2.9kHz which resulted in electric guitars sounding like they were notably elevated in the center of the sound image. Also, the dynamic driver in that set isn't the most precise driver out there; I detected audible distortion from overexcursion in a couple of modern tracks.

It's overall a good set, but I think it performs better playing modern electronic music, it's performance on my metal collection was mixed IME.

IMO the Variations is technically an upgrade from the Blessing 3 due to the inclusion of the electrostat tweeters vs balanced armatures, but the upgrade is not very substantial for 200 more dollars. I would save that cash to break into summit-fi.
I dont really have a hard cap on money spent i would go to 1000 probably at most

May 28, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #27 of 45
That $500US price point has a bunch of excellent options available. Figuring out what kind of sound profile you prefer is key to figuring out which one is best for you. The chances of arriving at a consensus around one particular set is virtually nil, since everyone hears a little differently, has different music preferences and so forth.

I look forward to seeing where you land on this. I’m always eyeing that price point too…

May 28, 2023 at 4:11 AM Post #28 of 45
I just cant believe the by a mile thing
I didn't expect it to be that different until I took them into destiny 2 which I've played almost 3,000 hours so I'm really familiar. Details were jumping it the same way as the Hifiman Ananda Stealth I have, albeit without the bigger passive soundstage because of the design. Comfort is great too, no sharp edges and I think they'd fit almost anyone. I'm sold on the tip design with the guard to keep them clean.

May 28, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #29 of 45
IMO, the jump in performance from sub 200 to 500 is the most dramatic. Imaging gets more precise with higher driver counts + better tuned crossovers, customizability via EQ improves as higher driver count isolates harmonic resonances introduced by making changes, and this price range is typically where Sonion ESTs start appearing, which I like.

The jump from the Zetian Wu to the Variations was immediately notable. The jump from the Variations to the Anole V14 is not as apparent, it took me a week of listening to fully appreciate the difference, but the difference is essentially that sub 200 veils everything, 500ish plays well but chokes sometimes, and 1.5k+ doesn't ever choke if it's the real deal.

May 28, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #30 of 45
That $500US price point has a bunch of excellent options available. Figuring out what kind of sound profile you prefer is key to figuring out which one is best for you. The chances of arriving at a consensus around one particular set is virtually nil, since everyone hears a little differently, has different music preferences and so forth.

I look forward to seeing where you land on this. I’m always eyeing that price point too…
I decided the Penon 10th anniversary will be my endgame set

Users who are viewing this thread

Back