finding switch boxes and switch amps
May 1, 2013 at 11:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Sir Tmotts III

Head-Fier
Alrighty, I've decided to upgrade from my aging NAD 3022 to something that is in full working order. while Valhalla seems to be the coolest schiit this side of the Mississippi, she has only one input, and I need three. so I do some snoopin about, and what do i find? Headroom used to sell a Switch amp that did exactly what I need. but with none showing up in the used market I have to look about the internet for something that is actually in production, but there's nothing! please tell me there is some answer to my prayers that dosen't involve mugging a Headroom switch amp owner?

May 1, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #2 of 5
Here are two possibilites, at two different price points. Both are input switch boxes, but don't forget to factor in that you'll need an interconnect to connect the switch box to your headphone amp. I'm currently using the Niles, but I may at some point upgrade to the Goldpoint.

Goldpoint SW4 Input Selector

Niles Audio Corporation

May 2, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #4 of 5
I'm not detecting any distortion, although I haven't done a direct A-B comparison. Before I got the Niles, I manuallly switched the cables from my CD player and TT into the Asgard. If I do a comparison and I do hear that the switchbox is degrading the signal path, I'll buy the Goldpoint or go back to the manual method. My previous headphone amp (the McCormack Micro Headphone Drive) had two switchable inputs, but alas, it's sound, even with it's external power supply, is bettered by the Asgard, so I have retired it. I wish the new Asgard 2's had two inputs instead of two outputs, but I understand that the popularity of desktop audio (and the fact that many people use preamps in their main system) influenced their decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back