Finding / Replacing Pads for the Sony CD1000 / CD3000
Oct 17, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #16 of 44
People, show me some diy pads(decent looking!), because i've been in that stage "It wouldn't be too hard.." before i actually tried to do it myself.

Oct 17, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #17 of 44
Actually, I am going to buy some lambskin and go for it.

The price of the pads and the quality of the same pads only new makes me want to make it myself. Plus, how nice would those pads be - I mean seriously!

Oct 18, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #18 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can use Beyer pads as an example. Even though there're wrinkles they're not very severe.

the wrinkles on my beyer leathers extend about 2/3 of the way up the sides. Try again, thats severe. I have spent MANY hours "working" the pads in every way possible, the wrinkles have not gotten any smaller although the leather did become a slight bit softer.
Quote:

Btw Beyer pads are not super-quality either, even though the leather is top notch.

But they are a single piece leather pad, which does not use cheap seams as indicated previously. Who else uses a similarly constructed pad?

Ultrasone ED-9 uses a similarly constructed pad to the beyers, but they use a FAR more supple leather. they still have some wrinkles down near the edges though.
Quote:

The main problem tat the leather easily disconnects where it attached to the base...That's the problem of all Beyer pads.

Perhaps they could have sewn the pad to the "skirt" (around the headphone) rather than gluing. unlucky, your first comment was specifically about sewing the pads together.

You still have not shown us a single-piece high quality leather headphone pad.
Actually, you have not indicated a high quality pad regardless of material! for someone who so quickly calls generally well regarded gear "cheap" with specific reference to "seamless" stuff as high quality, you could point out an alternative.

Perhaps the caveat of "for someone who knows what they are doing" should be applied to the ease of construction of a headphone pad. germania indicated that she is comfortable sewing so I didnt bother. My bad.
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I am going to buy some lambskin and go for it.

The price of the pads and the quality of the same pads only new makes me want to make it myself. Plus, how nice would those pads be - I mean seriously!

I think it will be SWEET!
are you going to build with colors or jsut black?

Oct 18, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #19 of 44
Quote:

You still have not shown us a single-piece high quality leather headphone pad.
Actually, you have not indicated a high quality pad regardless of material! for someone who so quickly calls generally well regarded gear "cheap" with specific reference to "seamless" stuff as high quality, you could point out an alternative.

Actually you're going too far. I'm not calling high regarded gear cheap. I only called cheap their awful pads. I'd take those flawed Beyer leather pads over seams-all-over-the-place pads of Sony, Denon, AT and JVC's. Wrinkles > seams.
Also, i'm not trying to "win" the debate with you. I'm just concerned with "achilles heel" of all known to me headphones.
BTW, there's plenty of high-quality velour pads. Almost all expensive cans with velour pads use high-quality pads.

Oct 18, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #20 of 44
Quote:

Actually you're going too far. I'm not calling high regarded gear cheap. I only called cheap their awful pads.

I suppose so.
I still strongly disagree with your assessment of quality.
Quote:

I'd take those flawed Beyer leather pads over seams-all-over-the-place pads of Sony, Denon, AT and JVC's. Wrinkles > seams.

that's cutie.
Beyerdynamic pads have seams AND wrinkles. the seams are on the inside of the pad, and against the outer edge. from your commentary thus far, you probably think with leather a glued seam is more durable than a sewn one, but its really not.
to add to that you make it sound like the pads on the high end cans are made of scrap leather randomly sewn together like some grotesque fetish mask. The reality of things is they are built more like a glove, with the location of the seam carefully considered.
Quote:

Also, i'm not trying to "win" the debate with you. I'm just concerned with "achilles heel" of all known to me headphones.

is the achilees heel seams or wrinkles?
Quote:

BTW, there's plenty of high-quality velour pads. Almost all expensive cans with velour pads use high-quality pads.

I agree, but these pads are not nearly as nice as the ones you are calling cheap.

Oct 18, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #21 of 44
These instructional videos about how to create plush toys and stuffed dolls should give you an idea about how to create your own earpads. The basic principle is the same, you're just working with different prestitched patterns and material (soft leather). This video about making footballs is also helpful.

Oct 19, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #22 of 44
nikongod,
Achilles heel is leather pads. To me, they're all flawed, one way(looks) or another(quality). Beyerdynamic has no visible seams on the outer side, that gives an impression of seamless construction. And it is, actually, hence only one peace of leather is used. Also, there's no seams at all, leather mleted onto synthetic base with some kind of high-temperature treatment, i guess. Even though it not sturdy connection at all...

Also, your last statement clearly shows our different tastes, when it comes to pad aestetics, so i think it's not a debatable matter.

Oct 19, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #23 of 44
Right now I am going to do black first.

There will be wood cups for this headphone in the future and if this goes well, I might do some matching colored pads. Maybe do Lambda pads because they are stiff leather and make your ears sweaty.

The lambskin I purchased is high grade 1.5-2oz leather so it will be extremely supple and take shapes very well. I am going to do it all hand stitched and completely out of leather (no stretchy fabric). My aunt stitches quilts (obsession
redface.gif
) in her spare time and gave me some advice about it.

Seamless construction does not mean high quality. Finely hand stitched is going to always look the best and last the longest.

We will just have to wait and see how these turn out.

Oct 20, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #25 of 44
Quote:

nikongod,
Achilles heel is leather pads. To me, they're all flawed, one way(looks) or another(quality).

your assesment of quality is so far from reality it is laughable.
The reasons for using a few well thought out seams are neumerous and greatly improve the function of the pad, and yet you cling to this ideal that the pad should have none!

How is this different from a leather glove or a well-finished piece of furniture? really it isnt. The finished product is smaller but the necessity of seams is obvious if you are to make leather go around corners without excessive wrinkles. The fact that there are seams is really of no consequence if they are well thought out and constructed.
Quote:

Beyerdynamic has no visible seams on the outer side, that gives an impression of seamless construction. And it is, actually, hence only one peace of leather is used.

eeh, it is acceptable to call a welded/glued piece of material a seam. semantics, i agree.
Quote:

Also, there's no seams at all, leather mleted onto synthetic base with some kind of high-temperature treatment, i guess. Even though it not sturdy connection at all...

You say this is not a sturdy connection, surely you are joking!
you are holding a pad which you acknowledge has weak seams as the reference to call others cheap by?

How long do the sewn pads you are calling cheap last (on the average) what about beyer pads?
Quote:

Also, your last statement clearly shows our different tastes, when it comes to pad aestetics, so i think it's not a debatable matter.

not really. I would say that this whole thread shows your poor judgment.
Beyer pads are nice, we agree. they serve the function of building a headphone with parts that are inexpensive to replace after a couple years of day to day use in a studio situation. they are comfortable, and look OK. But they could be improved GREATLY although at a greater cost.

The pads you call cheap simply are not. They have several LARGE advantages listed above. Aside from your own opinion that they look better because they dont have seams, even though you would not buy a glove with "flex wrinkles" this bad you have not listed a single advantage to beyerdynamic's pad design.

Oct 20, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #26 of 44
Germania good luck trying ot find them, but honestly the last time I was hunting for them, Khon was the only alternative, and I got the last three pairs he could furnish at that time, which eventually I sold while I sold my CD3K's. As both models were discontnued, they are no longer made, if you can grab them they will last for about 5 more years taking good care of them...otherwise goind DIY will not harm.

Oct 20, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #27 of 44
Quote:

you have not listed a single advantage to beyerdynamic's pad design.

They're not cheap-looking. This is only possible advantage\disadvantage, since all pads we speak of get their job done when it comes to functionality.

Oct 21, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #28 of 44
Quote:

They're not cheap-looking.

I didnt say they were. Your arguments would have greater weight if you read my posts. I suppose its hard for you to do much but strawman the argument you are trying to make, but Im enjoying this quite well.
Quote:

This is only possible advantage\disadvantage, since all pads we speak of get their job done when it comes to functionality.

Are you saying that the only advantage is that they dont look cheap?

The R10 pads are not cheap looking either. Now that we have both stated OPINIONS, how about stating some facts?

Most pads with seams are wedge shaped to seal better against the head, and distribute pressure more evenly.

You get ear-holes designed to put the headphone on and find the "sweet spot" fairly quickly.

The argument that they "both get the job done" is so vague. Pads which in my opinion look cheap also get the job done.

what have you got? An argument that beyer pads are superior to pads with numerous technical advantages based on your own assessment of aesthetics: Nothing.

Oct 21, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #29 of 44
It was about opinions from the beginning. To me, R10 pads look cheap for $3000 headphone(maybe for $1000 they're not cheap looking, but still). I've never said they not doing their function properly.

Oct 23, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #30 of 44
Quote:

It was about opinions from the beginning. To me, R10 pads look cheap for $3000 headphone (maybe for $1000 they're not cheap looking, but still). I've never said they not doing their function properly.

Do you have any other in mind that will be not so cheap looking, I have seen and heard problably most of the known headphones with a couple of exceptions, and I have found none yet, not even the ATL3000 (in which they made a contract with a British leather company for the leather work) is better in that regard, and indeed they are very similar construction wise.

Now if you beleive that for a $3000.00 they look cheap, now take a look at the Orpheus system that was prices at 13K (maybe the heapdhones alone will cost around the same figure) and tell if those pads are better, or look at the ridiculous Grado foam pads in the HP1, HP2, PS-1, GS-1...etc...a la portapro, don't you think that we could expect more at those prices as well??? But who complains???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back