Finding open headphone
Jun 2, 2015 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

wildwood88

Head-Fier
I am just a starter, having ath-m50x and sennheiser momentum in ear on my hand.
I don't have any amp or any DAP.
I feel like m50x soundstage is not wide enough, is not bad. But when I listen some symphony or larger orchestral, I feel all the instrument are all pack together. So I am wondering open will be better in this situation right? Can you guys recommend open headphone under 300 dollars? I am thinking grado 80e, is that fulfill ?

Jun 3, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #4 of 27
What is v shape means?
I believe m50x is quite balance right?
So right now I try to find a pen open headphone to listen those orchestral, huge works.
I will using open headphone in home :)

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #5 of 27
For $300 I would go to the Grado SR225, though keep in mind that you will need the adapter if you only have 1/8" jacks available (like from a computer sound card).

The SR80 would do well, but a lot of people agree that the sweet spot, especially for the Prestige line, is the SR225.

A V shaped signature has an emphasis on bass and treble vs midrange.

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #6 of 27
$300 and want opens - Sennheiser HD600 best choice and you save some money to buy used amp. Best choice again!!!

Stay away from Grados I have heard SR80 SR 225 and SR325 worst headphones ever, even M50 is great compared to that.
lots of distortion bass is lacking midrange is strange... just complete mess

cheers

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #7 of 27
$300 and want opens - Sennheiser HD600 best choice and you save some money to buy used amp. Best choice again!!!

Stay away from Grados I have heard SR80 SR 225 and SR325 worst headphones ever, even M50 is great compared to that.

cheers

Grados are a mixed bag. You either love them or hate them. There doesn't seem to be a lot of in-between.

If Grados are something that interests you, I strongly urge you to see if there is a dealer local to you where you can try them out.

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #8 of 27
I own both the M50 and the Grado 225e, and they are very, very different headphones. The M50 is nice to bring outside home, since it's very solid, foldable and well isolated, but as you described it doesn't have that much details. It responds Ok with mids, but it doesn't really have any soundstage. It's great to listen to electronic music, or as a monitor headphone, it's Ok with most styles, but if what you need is soundstage than forget the M50s (I listen mostly to electronic music so it's Ok for me :p ).

The Grado 225e (which I own, along with the M50) are also a very specific type of headphones, even more specific than the M50 in my opinion. They are very nice if you listen to quiet or punchy recordings with a lot of details in the high-mids and highs, but on other types of recordings it doesn't perform as well. It has a little bit of bass, just enough to have an impact, but apart from that it doesn't have nearly enough low-mid for me, which is a shame. In fact, the problem with these is not that they are not good, because they are of great quality. The problem is that there is pretty much no style of music that fits them : you can't use them for electronic music because, altough they have great highs and are very punchy, they lack bass; you can't use them for classical music, because they lack the all-around frequency response that is needed for classical music (the absence of low-mid is really a shame in regards to classical music); you can't use them for jazz because, again, they lack the warmth that's needed for this kind of use. The only type of music you can really listen to is rock, because rock needs a punchy sound with proheminent highs; the only problem, again, is that you won't hear the drum's impact that much, or the bass (the instrument).

The only type of music it really works really well with would be folk or accapella. So, altough I like it for its clear sound, good details and soundstage, the absence of warmth and bass makes it very hard to use for most styles of music. That's probably why you love it or hate it. Also, they work a lot better when used with a good amp (like any headphone), that's when you'll start to hear the bass a bit more (altough it never really comes alive; well, actually, the thing with the SR225's bass is that it's punchy, but it's not maintained; it'll hit you but run away as fast :p ).

Here's an example of music they work well with I think : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itLxXeyM2aM

Like liquidzoo, I'd suggest you try the Grados if you can, just to see if you like them, because they're definitely great for details and soundstage, and also impact. I think that, in the Grado line, the SR325e may suit you best (they're a bit over your budget but I think they have a bit more warmth, but I could be wrong). Oh and also, Grados are made to use at home! They leak sound A LOT.

Hope it helps!

Edit : Oh and, before I forget : the earcups on the SR225 make a BIG difference. If you keep the original earcups, they'll sound more punchy, in your face, but will have less soundstage; if you put on large cups (available on Ebay for a small price), they'll give you a better soundstage but will sound more ''polite'' as some people say, more like Sennheisers, less in your face. And, finally, if you pick flat earpads, the SR225 will sound less detailed and that's it (I don't really like the flat pads, it breaks the purpose of the Grados in my opinion :p ).

cheers

Because the M50 are supposed to be bad?

Oh and, suggesting the HD600 for a 300$ budget is absurd, since they are around 450$/500$ in the least, plus you need to spend around 150$ to 300$ for an amp, so it'll cost him/her at least twice what he/she's looking for...

And also, you've ''heard'' that the Grados are bad? Have you tried them or what? Please, we don't need trolls like you around here.

Jun 3, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #9 of 27

Oh and, suggesting the HD600 for a 300$ budget is absurd, since they are around 450$/500$ in the least, plus you need to spend around 150$ to 300$ for an amp, so it'll cost him/her at least twice what he/she's looking for...

And also, you've ''heard'' that the Grados are bad? Have you tried them or what? Please, we don't need trolls like you around here.

Sennheiser HD600 is around $240 new on sale search forum here ... M50 are great headphone for the price just comfort was not my bag.

I have owned SR80 at my first days in Audio and have spent long time with loaned SR225 and SR325, even I modified my SR80 with wood cups.

So I know what I am talking about.

Jun 3, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #10 of 27

and FYI personal attack is not welcome. Think about how to communicate other people again 
L3000.gif

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #11 of 27
Well, just by reading your first comment and the last ones, it feels as if two different people wrote them. Why did you say you ''heard'' the Grados are not good if you spent a long time trying them? It doesn't make sense. For this reason, and because of the lack of punctuation, I thought you just wanted to talk-down headphones you didn't trust without knowing them. If you had written in the same fashion as in your last posts, I would've answered in a much more polite way.
beerchug.gif

Edit : Oh and, please, if you have a link for HD600 at 250$, do send it to me. 
o2smile.gif

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #12 of 27
  Well, just by reading your first comment and the last ones, it feels as if two different people wrote them. Why did you say you ''heard'' the Grados are not good if you spent a long time trying them? It doesn't make sense. For this reason, and because of the lack of punctuation, I thought you just wanted to talk-down headphones you didn't trust without knowing them. If you had written in the same fashion as in your last posts, I would've answered in a much more polite way.
beerchug.gif

Edit : Oh and, please, if you have a link for HD600 at 250$, do send it to me. 
o2smile.gif

I have sent you links. heard means listened ...just forum slang may be

beerchug.gif

cheers

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #13 of 27
Wow
I own both the M50 and the Grado 225e, and they are very, very different headphones. The M50 is nice to bring outside home, since it's very solid, foldable and well isolated, but as you described it doesn't have that much details. It responds Ok with mids, but it doesn't really have any soundstage. It's great to listen to electronic music, or as a monitor headphone, it's Ok with most styles, but if what you need is soundstage than forget the M50s (I listen mostly to electronic music so it's Ok for me :p ).

The Grado 225e (which I own, along with the M50) are also a very specific type of headphones, even more specific than the M50 in my opinion. They are very nice if you listen to quiet or punchy recordings with a lot of details in the high-mids and highs, but on other types of recordings it doesn't perform as well. It has a little bit of bass, just enough to have an impact, but apart from that it doesn't have nearly enough low-mid for me, which is a shame. In fact, the problem with these is not that they are not good, because they are of great quality. The problem is that there is pretty much no style of music that fits them : you can't use them for electronic music because, altough they have great highs and are very punchy, they lack bass; you can't use them for classical music, because they lack the all-around frequency response that is needed for classical music (the absence of low-mid is really a shame in regards to classical music); you can't use them for jazz because, again, they lack the warmth that's needed for this kind of use. The only type of music you can really listen to is rock, because rock needs a punchy sound with proheminent highs; the only problem, again, is that you won't hear the drum's impact that much, or the bass (the instrument).

The only type of music it really works really well with would be folk or accapella. So, altough I like it for its clear sound, good details and soundstage, the absence of warmth and bass makes it very hard to use for most styles of music. That's probably why you love it or hate it. Also, they work a lot better when used with a good amp (like any headphone), that's when you'll start to hear the bass a bit more (altough it never really comes alive; well, actually, the thing with the SR225's bass is that it's punchy, but it's not maintained; it'll hit you but run away as fast :p ).

Here's an example of music they work well with I think : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itLxXeyM2aM

Like liquidzoo, I'd suggest you try the Grados if you can, just to see if you like them, because they're definitely great for details and soundstage, and also impact. I think that, in the Grado line, the SR325e may suit you best (they're a bit over your budget but I think they have a bit more warmth, but I could be wrong). Oh and also, Grados are made to use at home! They leak sound A LOT.

Hope it helps!

Edit : Oh and, before I forget : the earcups on the SR225 make a BIG difference. If you keep the original earcups, they'll sound more punchy, in your face, but will have less soundstage; if you put on large cups (available on Ebay for a small price), they'll give you a better soundstage but will sound more ''polite'' as some people say, more like Sennheisers, less in your face. And, finally, if you pick flat earpads, the SR225 will sound less detailed and that's it (I don't really like the flat pads, it breaks the purpose of the Grados in my opinion :p ).

Wow that's really informative, I did tried sr80e before, but just for a short while. So I kind of forgot the sound, I only know it leak the sound a lot. Actually hd 598 is a good choice too right?

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #15 of 27
For

cheers
which amp suit the best for hd 600? Or even hd598?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back