Finding my sr80is to be fatiguing
Apr 26, 2012 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

taiden

Member of the Trade: Vibro Labs
Hey all,

I came into the headphones world with some SR60s a few years back. Recently brought them back from the drawers and in the process doing a 2 hole punch mod and making wood half cups. The pads were already quarter modded.

At one point I dropped the set and one of the diaphragms completely disconnected from the driver. Headphone gone.

I decided to buy some sr80is because I couldnt go a few weeks without phones while grado looked at my sr60s to see if they would be willing to put new drivers in. (I guess they don't just sell drivers, which I would have much preferred to do)

So I get my sr80is and they are fantastic. I like them. The stock pads they come with really cut the highs out, which I missed. So I grabbed some HD 414s. The HD 414s sounded pretty good without any quarter mod. I quarter modded them. Sounded really nice on the right way. Flipped them over, the sound became very distant and muddy. So now I have the 414s on forwards with the quarter mod.

Anyway, after a couple hours I feel fatigued like I'm getting sick of these phones. Also, I think the sr60 has much more bass response, which confused me because I felt like every thread on here said the sr80is had better bass response. I do a search for frequency response graphs for both and sure enough the sr60 has better low end response. I don't know why this myth is circulating around head-fi.

Does anyone have some wisdom to give? I was planning on leaving the holes virgin until I have a chance to make full woody cups.

Here's photos of my woodies just for giggles

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #2 of 4
I only have the MS1, which is based on the 80's.  However, I have never heard anyone say the the 60's had more or better bass than the 80's.  If either can is modded, I'm sure that many things are possible that weren't the case with the stock Grados (or almost any other brand).

Apr 26, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
I only have the MS1, which is based on the 80's.  However, I have never heard anyone say the the 60's had more or better bass than the 80's.  If either can is modded, I'm sure that many things are possible that weren't the case with the stock Grados (or almost any other brand).

I agree that I have never heard anyone say that the 60s have better bass than the 80s. But the frequency response curve... does it lie?

Apr 26, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #4 of 4
I just swapped my half woodies onto my sr80s and it has really smoothed out the harshness in the mids and highs which I think is what was making them fatiguing. Again, not sure if it's placebo, but it seems to be making a difference in my listening experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back