finding my modded v-6s very satistfying
Feb 17, 2006 at 3:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

xstephanx

Head-Fier
ive had my sony v6s for a long time, but tonight i did a couple mods and it really put some life into these old cans! i did two mods, one is a already proven mod (blu-tak) the other is one i jsut thought of (a single ply of tissue paper over the drivers. the results are astounding!

the Bass: before i found the bass was deep, but a BIT on the boomy side compard to my diy sub. After deadening the walls of the "enclosure" with a thick (2mm) layer of blue tack everywhere, and throwing in some fiberfill, this has smoothened the bass AND midrange response a considerable amount! but this is the bass section so i will talk about that. The bass now reminds me of a low q (less than .7) sealed sub deisgn rather than a slightly peaky ported design, which suits me perfectly for music. The rolloff is smoother, and the extension improves a little fom that.

Midrange: through all my research the v6 had been infamous for two bad qualities, he exadurated treble and the "interesting" midrange in and around the 4khz region. I suspect this was due to either reflections inside the enclosure coming through the VERY thin diaphragm on the drivers, or due to cabinet resonances. Either way the damping materials i used made the midrange alot smoother. Pianos sound a bit more intimate and realistic.

Treble: I never would have guessed what an impact such a small amount of material coud provide. The treble has been a bit calmed, im not sure if its smoother but the cans are less bright. Im not saying this is the be all end all of other phones nwo that the v6 treble has been changed, im jsut saying if you like your v6s, but woudl likethem mroe if they had a calmer igh end, try adding 1 or 2 plys of kleenex between the earpads and the driver grills, you may be pleasantly surprised as i was!

Now i liked these cans to start out with, ive always found them revealing accurate and realistic(read true to the recording) btu thanks to a tiny bit of moddingi enjoy them even more. All of these mods are easily reversable, the blu tack being the hardest, and YMMV, but i certainly enjoy my cans more after modding.

thank you head-fi! looks like i beat the walet this time!

CDs used:
Iced earth-blessed and the damned cd 1 the blessed
Dark tranquility-Charachter+ exposures disc 2
Lang Lang- A live Telarc recording.

if anyone wants updates as i listen more, feel free to ask in here or PM me!

Mar 17, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #2 of 2
I am intrested in getting a v6, so what mod's did you preform? and how do you do those mods? if it works that well, I am sure I will buy one!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back