Finding an equal or better replacement for a lost Fiio E12
Sep 14, 2021 at 12:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

aphelion

New Head-Fier
A long time ago I was naive and bought a Fiio E6 on Amazon. I liked it but the limitations were obvious, and I went for the best at the time, the E12.

I loved that amp but lost it years ago when I moved. It's not available now from an OEM no matter where I seem to try to buy it. I looked at all the new options, and searched for 1-to-1 comparisons for many of Fiio's units, including E10K, E12A, E11, E17, K3, Q3, K12.

I found they were all not for the same purpose: many were DACs, others were for IEMs. I want to amp up a pair of full-size headphones, Audio-Technica M50x. I prefer them to many higher priced headphones, so the amp is for them.

After many comparisons it seems the Q3 seems closest to what the E12 was, and I wanted to get feedback from the forum since it's hard to find online. Can someone compare E12 and Q3? I'm most interested in power, especially the clear, rich bass E12 produced, which at the time totally changed my expectations for music.

Is it best to find an old E12 or is there something newer that's comparable and perhaps even better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back