Finding a replacement for my LCD 3's
Feb 17, 2017 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Montecristo

100+ Head-Fier
I am selling my LCD 3's because I can not get over the weight/clamping force and I would like to find a similar headphone (not LCD 2). But, I would like more bass. The LCD 3 bass was absolutely lovely but it didn't have enough...rumble? Fullness? To put it into perspective I recently tried out the Audioquest nighthawks bass and I LOVED it. But I only had a few minutes with them so I couldn't really analyze it. But the bass filled the entire cup and felt like it would in a car, all surrounding. And the rumble was AWESOME!!. Unfortunately, I have heard that it requires some EQ to really shine and I would like a headphone with that similar amount of bass in the nighthawks while still retaining the quality of the LCD 3's... 

I'm not sure if it exists but if I can get a subwoofer in my ears while still having top notch mids/highs/vocals (LCD 3 didn't really shine on vocals) then that would be lovely, not sure if it exists though. If anything, the bass is the priority but not enough if the rest of the frequencies do not have clarity/detail/separation. 

Thank you!!!

Feb 18, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #4 of 10
  I am selling my LCD 3's because I can not get over the weight/clamping force and I would like to find a similar headphone (not LCD 2). But, I would like more bass. The LCD 3 bass was absolutely lovely but it didn't have enough...rumble? Fullness? To put it into perspective I recently tried out the Audioquest nighthawks bass and I LOVED it. But I only had a few minutes with them so I couldn't really analyze it. But the bass filled the entire cup and felt like it would in a car, all surrounding. And the rumble was AWESOME!!. Unfortunately, I have heard that it requires some EQ to really shine and I would like a headphone with that similar amount of bass in the nighthawks while still retaining the quality of the LCD 3's... 

I'm not sure if it exists but if I can get a subwoofer in my ears while still having top notch mids/highs/vocals (LCD 3 didn't really shine on vocals) then that would be lovely, not sure if it exists though. If anything, the bass is the priority but not enough if the rest of the frequencies do not have clarity/detail/separation. 

Thank you!!!

Hey. With regards to the NightHawks, I also think the low-end production is exceptional as with the rest of the frequency. However, you  need to decide for yourself whether they "require EQ to really shine" because I can tell you from my experience I don't think they do. If you can test them out again for an extended amount of time, do so. In the current market they take a somewhat unique tuning approach that if you vibe with it, you really vibe with it + top-notch comfort to boot. Otherwise maybe consider the supposedly slightly more traditional sounding AudioQuest NightOwl Carbons or ask around in this THREAD to see if there is something that might meet your standards.

Feb 18, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #5 of 10
ZMF Atticus,heard them at CanJam NYC...really awesome impact and beautiful mids too,highs slightly rolled off,essentially a better LCD to my ears.

Feb 18, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #7 of 10
Hey. With regards to the NightHawks, I also think the low-end production is exceptional as with the rest of the frequency. However, you  need to decide for yourself whether they "require EQ to really shine" because I can tell you from my experience I don't think they do. If you can test them out again for an extended amount of time, do so. In the current market they take a somewhat unique tuning approach that if you vibe with it, you really vibe with it + top-notch comfort to boot. Otherwise maybe consider the supposedly slightly more traditional sounding AudioQuest NightOwl Carbons or ask around in this THREAD to see if there is something that might meet your standards.

What exactly is this unique tuning about the nighthawks? Could you clarify more please?

Feb 18, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #8 of 10
Could you compare the bass of the LCD to the Atticus?

I didnt listen to any music w/ copious amounts of sub-bass(trance,hiphop,EDM),however did listen to rock and metal and the slam on them was the best ive heard. Do they extend down as far as LCDs? I dont know. The mids to my ears were better than LCD-2s,and the slam was better as well,but I wasnt doing a direct a/b of the two.

Feb 18, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #9 of 10
This is a review of the two new ZMF headphones,written by Head-Fier @Hansotek 

He knows his stuff and I trust his opinions.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0117/ZMF_Eikon_Atticus_Headphones_Review.htm

Feb 18, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #10 of 10
What exactly is this unique tuning about the nighthawks? Could you clarify more please?

I wrote more in my review but the NH tuning is unique in the sense that it runs counter to the contemporary "audiophile/neutrally balanced" over-ear tuning. That tuning tends to over-emphasize mids/treble with bass levels being a bit shelved. The NH on the other hand keeps the potent low-end while de-emphasizing the higher frequencies, and at low distortion levels too. As a result, if you're firmly entrenched in the camp that largely accepts the "audiophile" tuning as spot-on, you may easily discount the NHs as muddy or underwater. If you don't keep your mind/ears open about them, that perspective may prematurely bias your experience. The NHs offer you a different perspective while trying to buck the majority one. IME, it very much succeeds, with a tonal balance that is truer to the audio to me (ofc within the limits of a headphone experience). Some say they sound like a good set of loudspeakers, which was one of the designer's goals. Hope that helps. At the end of the day, trust your own ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back