Finding a Full-sized, Lightweight, Portable, but Sturdy Headphone: does it exist?
Apr 3, 2014 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

BRSxIgnition

Headphoneus Supremus
Just like the title says.

For the past 2 years, I've been getting by fine with my modified white Audio Technica ATH-M50's, replacing the ear pads whenever they get too worn out or cracked, but now that the headband is also starting to fade and tear, I've started looking into the different kinds of headphones that have been released recently. I've found a few interesting ones, but I'm still unable to decide on anything in specific. So I've now come back to Head-Fi once again in hopes of getting a quick refresher course and a few recommendations on what would be best for my uses.

My main physical requirements are that the headphones be:
  1. Full-Sized. (Around Ear preferred for comfort)
  2. Portable. (Example: M50's are fine for me)
  3. Sturdy & Stylish. (Metal/High Quality Construction is welcome!)

When it comes to sound, I want two things:
  1. Neutral. I don't want heavily V-shaped or overly bright sound signatures. Bass is good, but I don't want recessed mids. (A la M-100)
  2. Fun. That said, I still want the sound to be dynamic, and not perfectly neutral or deadly flat. The ATH-M50's sound alright to me, though I would like more detail and a bit more balance. 

My spending limit is $400 after tax - so discount codes or promotions are welcome. 

I've recently tried the B&O H6, and while I didn't expect much, they sounded rather good. I still have not gotten a chance to use them with my own music, but from what I listened to at the Apple Store, they weren't half bad. Then again, they seem to be way out of my price range. 

So.... What should I be looking at?

Apr 4, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #3 of 7
Is the HP50 built well? I prefer the looks of the AKG K545, but the HP50 seems to have been getting some good reviews and such.. 

The cups for the Focal headphones seem a but small for me, and the classic would likely be better for indoor use..

Thank you for your input either way!

Apr 5, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #6 of 7
  The H6 is superb if you can find them in your price range. Otherwise those NADs are getting great reivews.
Check out this thread.

I'd jump on the H6 if there was a place to get them around $300 rather than $430... But a discount that large would be almost impossible to find.

Wasn't there a sale once where it was something like 30% off the H6 from a certain store? 

Apr 6, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #7 of 7
  I'd jump on the H6 if there was a place to get them around $300 rather than $430... But a discount that large would be almost impossible to find.

Wasn't there a sale once where it was something like 30% off the H6 from a certain store? 

Sorry I don't know, I just bought mine from an apple store. There are a few on eBay you could try?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back