Find the weakest link in my chain; How do you like your Sansa e200-280?
Apr 15, 2007 at 6:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

grndslm

1000+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASTERTECH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
good amplifiers and phones always make a difference even if your source is what you call budget equipment

I'm trying to find out if this statement is really true? Some seem to say that amps aren't going to remove hiss while others, like the Tomahawk, will.

I'll have my Supermicro by the end of the summer time....but I'm slightly impatient and wanted a new player now, so I had to buy the Sansa e280 (8 gig) for $145!! I'm trying to find out what you think of this portable setup:

Sansa e280 -> Supermicro -> Koss KSC75 & Sony MDR-V6 (with plans to buy MS-1 or DT770, prolly both
basshead.gif
)

Is this something that you just wouldn't be able to stand for sound quality purposes? Or is the supermicro overkill for my purposes? The Sansa too poor of a source? Should I upgrade the cans now and wait for a better/cheaper flash player?

Also, I don't see myself buying a "portable" flash player with true line out on it. How many others use a built-in amp (headphone out) in a crappy player to a Supermicro or other amp?

Apr 15, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #2 of 6
I'd say the Sansa would be the weakest link. Portable wise, I'd say go for a Zune, ZVM, iAudio X5, iRiver. You can easily find a good used one here for good prices. In general, I think a good DAC would be good for your purposes and more worthwhile.

Apr 15, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 6
Apr 15, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #6 of 6
Sansa is the weakest link. Because they don't seem to update the sound in the firmwares much.

If proper lineout was introduced, maybe. But as far as I can see, the Sansa is the problem, even though it's an above-average player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back