Find me some headphones please...
May 6, 2006 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Narcosynthesis

New Head-Fier
Heres the story, I use a walkman rather often going back and forth between uni on busses and wandering about town and so on, and currently use a set of sony inear headphones (MDR-ED21LP) which do the job, but I am contemplating something nicer.

So something a bit nicer sounding if I can, I remember listening to something in a shop on a decent set of big headphones (I don't know the real name, sorry) and it sounded much nicer than my wee ones, so somethign along those lines could be nice
Cutting out a bit of road noise would be nice too, its gets annoying having to reset the volume every time I change environment (bus - busy road - uni, etc...) so somethign that cuts a bit more noise would be awesome, though for safetys sake not completely isolating I guess
Bulk and portability is an issue too, I looked art something like the Sennheiser HD202's, but they are just a bit too bulky to carry about all the time, awkward to store or carry when I am not using them. so somethign a bit smaller would be ideal

The Kicker? the budget... preferably up to £30, I realise this isn't much, bit I don't really want to spend too much more on headphones to cart around all the time

Anyone have any ideas for me? I noticed the Sennheiser PX200's which look decent - closed back so isolating sound a bit, plus a decent price and folding... but are there any better for the money/specs?

Cheers for helping out a noob

David

May 6, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
PX100s.

They don't give a clear sound. It's too bass-heavy.
But that's my experience from the older version. I heard the newer ones give better highs?

May 6, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #4 of 9
The best isolation you can get in this range would be from a semi-IEM like the Sennheiser CX300, which is reported to sound very decent.

The PX100 has excellent sound, but it is open and does not block out any noise at all. The PX200 has mediocre sound and poor isolation in spite of being closed.

If you want a traditional headphone that seals out quite a bit of noise, look at the AKG K26P, K27i, or K81DJ. The first two (26 and 27) are a bit cheaper, have decent isolation, but are somewhat excessively bass heavy. The K81DJ is supposed to sound considerably better, but might be above your budget.

Perhaps the heavy bass of the 26P or 27i might be an advantage in drowning out street noises.

A search should turn up opinions on all of these models.

May 7, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 9
Not sure if I want it too bass heavy, but to be honest I don't know what the benchmark is, the sonys I have fine are nice enough eq wise., noted for having a fair bit of bass, but I don't really know how they compare
More bass wouldn't be good, I want to hear the full music, and on some songs I can hear it becoming a bit woofy (so the same or better than the sonys)

Looking at the AKG's pretty much every review says great bass, rolled off high's...

from the search function and looking about, the Audio-Technica ATH-FC7, any good? (Assuming I can actually get hold of some)

Sorry for being so awkward

David

May 8, 2006 at 11:10 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Narcosynthesis
Not sure if I want it too bass heavy, but to be honest I don't know what the benchmark is, the sonys I have fine are nice enough eq wise., noted for having a fair bit of bass, but I don't really know how they compare
More bass wouldn't be good, I want to hear the full music, and on some songs I can hear it becoming a bit woofy (so the same or better than the sonys)

Looking at the AKG's pretty much every review says great bass, rolled off high's...

from the search function and looking about, the Audio-Technica ATH-FC7, any good? (Assuming I can actually get hold of some)

Sorry for being so awkward

David

I have no clue what they sound like as I haven't heard them, so I can't comment on that, but these http://uk.europe.creative.com/shop/p...5&product=906& are supposed to be the same as the ATH-FC7. So you can order them from creative. From the picture it looks like the creative ones have velour pads which should be more comfortable too.

May 8, 2006 at 3:07 PM Post #9 of 9
Creative HQ-1700 / ATH-FC7 seconded, though I haven't heard either one.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back