Find me a DAC/AMP or whatever.
Jan 9, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #16 of 40
I think im understanding that your saying the difference between like cipher cable and a magni multibit is very little hence not worth it.
Which is exactly my point if you have 'clean source chain' and enough power you're fine.
Differences are marginal at times when you deal with solid build and good QC, sometimes they're really subjective but I won't get into my pov on it.

Jan 9, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #17 of 40
Which is exactly my point if you have 'clean source chain' and enough power you're fine.
Differences are marginal at times when you deal with solid build and good QC, sometimes they're really subjective but I won't get into my pov on it.
Right ill leave an amp/dac for now then.

But my cipher cable will most likely break in a few months as the last one did and I have this feeling, so I'll be back in a few months searching again. Do you have any recommendations for a dac/amp anyway if my cipher was to break? Im thinking schiit stack magni modi multibit right now. total cost about £400 including cables and shipping.

Jan 9, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #18 of 40
Right ill leave an amp/dac for now then.

But my cipher cable will most likely break in a few months as the last one did and I have this feeling, so I'll be back in a few months searching again. Do you have any recommendations for a dac/amp anyway if my cipher was to break? Im thinking schiit stack magni modi multibit right now. total cost about £400 including cables and shipping.
I would approach that question again in few months time/on need bases, but if you wish to touch it right now:
The first thing I would ask you is where and how do you listen to most of your music, once you answer that and your needs are clearer it'll be easier to recommend.

Jan 9, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #19 of 40
I would approach that question again in few months time/on need bases, but if you wish to touch it right now:
The first thing I would ask you is where and how do you listen to most of your music, once you answer that and your needs are clearer it'll be easier to recommend.

spotify premium on high quality (only 320kbps i think but I do have some higher quality files etc) in front of my pc which i also game off and do some light music production. I often listen while doing other stuff such as right now.

I originally was searching for a portable dap, used to own an astell and kern mk2 (dont ask about that its a long story) and almost bought a fiio m11 a few months back before thinking do i really listen to music while moving about that much.

Jan 9, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #20 of 40
spotify premium on high quality (only 320kbps i think but I do have some higher quality files etc) in front of my pc which i also game off and do some light music production. I often listen while doing other stuff such as right now.

I originally was searching for a portable dap, used to own an astell and kern mk2 (dont ask about that its a long story) and almost bought a fiio m11 a few months back before thinking do i really listen to music while moving about that much.
What I'll say now might not be poplar but if I were to rethink it really I would do the next thing:
  • Meizu Hifi dongle as dac (Not the pro but the one that is usb 3.0)
  • 3.5mm to RCA cable
  • Headphone amp any of the next is good:
  1. MAGNI 3 Heresy.
  2. JDS Atom.
  3. Monolith Liquid Spark.
  4. Geshelli Labs Archel2 or Archel2.5.
And all of them should be enough until you really need something specific which'll be aware of by then IMHO.

Jan 9, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #21 of 40
What I'll say now might not be poplar but if I were to rethink it really I would do the next thing:
  • 3.5mm to RCA cable
  1. MAGNI 3 Heresy.
  2. JDS Atom.
And all of them should be enough until you really need something specific which'll be aware of by then IMHO.
do you know the difference between magni 3+ and heresy?

Jan 9, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #23 of 40
  • 3.5mm to RCA cable
  1. MAGNI 3 Heresy.
  2. JDS Atom.

What would be something specific? Which qualities relate to DAC'S?

Also lets say i was to get a pay rise and find some more cash so it was less of an objective,

Would you at all recommend something like modi multibit over the dongle? I say multibit even though its a lot more expensive because i've been told it is a lot better.

Jan 9, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #25 of 40
Is the 3+ better in any way? As im not a fan of that ugly colour on the heresy
I'll link to ASR in this case: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...gni-3-and-heresy-headphone-amp-reviews.10311/
What would be something specific? Which qualities relate to DAC'S?

Also lets say i was to get a pay rise and find some more cash so it was less of an objective,

Would you at all recommend something like modi multibit over the dongle? I say multibit even though its a lot more expensive because i've been told it is a lot better.
I see it as money wasted for no good reason.
Every forum/group has favourites here Schiit is, cases when you might need to consider different DAC:
  • Need more sources
  • Need more outputs
  • Need BT
  • Need some streaming feature like Roon or MQA (I don't like this one but here it's).
  • Need balanced output which will: eliminate grounding issues or loops and will allow for balanced amp which will translate into more power output.

Jan 9, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #26 of 40
I'll link to ASR in this case: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...gni-3-and-heresy-headphone-amp-reviews.10311/

I see it as money wasted for no good reason.
Every forum/group has favourites here Schiit is, cases when you might need to consider different DAC:
  • Need more sources
  • Need more outputs
  • Need BT
  • Need some streaming feature like Roon or MQA (I don't like this one but here it's).
  • Need balanced output which will: eliminate grounding issues or loops and will allow for balanced amp which will translate into more power output.
So who is the modi multibit designed for? What type of person/user? I see everyone on this forum using fancy dac's n crap for simple headphones so they all wasting money for no reason?

Jan 9, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #27 of 40
So who is the modi multibit designed for? What type of person/user?
Anyone which would buy it, at the end of the day they need to sell their prouduct that's why they'ree in busnise in the first place.
I see everyone on this forum using fancy dac's n crap for simple headphones so they all wasting money for no reason?
They enjoy it, we all 'waste' money on what we enjoy, some just enjoy buying expansive stuff or stuff that look great or they chase the next unicorn, or subjective colour of equipment (which some I do think have) I don't see the issue I'm just giving you the optimal bang for buck IMAO.

Jan 9, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #28 of 40
Everyone has an opinion on what makes a difference and what doesnt. I partially agree with some of what has been said already,though I have no personal experience with your Cipher cable.
"Upgrading" to a desktop DAC in the price range youre talking about may,or may not bring an audible difference. I know many members who have a/b'd various DACs in the 300.00-1000.00 price range and claim to not hearing a difference between them. Same members then heard a very costly DAC and were stunned at the differences.
I have personally owned several amps and DACs,and can clearly hear differences between them all.

The difference between the multibit and non-MB Schiit gear essentially is the MB versions have a warmer,more organic sound to them,whereas the non-MB can sound brighter and more digital. If youve never owned a high end turntable,then your ears are probably more used to the digital sound.

Its been my experience that everything makes a difference in your system,from the headphones down to the cabling,and everything in between,but as was mentioned above,its a slippery slope.

Jan 9, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #29 of 40
Anyone which would buy it, at the end of the day they need to sell their prouduct that's why they'ree in busnise in the first place.

They enjoy it, we all 'waste' money on what we enjoy, some just enjoy buying expansive stuff or stuff that look great or they chase the next unicorn, or subjective colour of equipment (which some I do think have) I don't see the issue I'm just giving you the optimal bang for buck IMAO.
Ok in that case great. Cuz i aint gonna lie I an pushing aesthetics as a large bias point into my mind my gaming setup cost. Is the modi better or worse quality compared to the dongle? What is your opinion of the multi-bit, is it much better at all or just modi. As i dont mind spending a little more for aesthetics not hundreds for the multi-bit thought if you think sound quality plateaus once you get past the basic point.

Jan 9, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #30 of 40
The difference between the multibit and non-MB Schiit gear essentially is the MB versions have a warmer,more organic sound to them,whereas the non-MB can sound brighter and more digital. If youve never owned a high end turntable,then your ears are probably more used to the digital sound.
You just saved me maybe £150 in maybe a years time. Thanks! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back