Find DAP or DAC for Shure SE530
May 9, 2012 at 3:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

vdupham

New Head-Fier
I am using Samsung Captivate for Source , and I want to find a new good DAP for my Shure SE530 . Please help me choose a new one .

I am seeing between Itouch gen 4th or Ipod Video , but I must to buy a DAC for this source , and What is a good DAC for this combo ?  

Thanks

May 10, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #2 of 9
Fostex HP-P1 is a great choice for ipod. It will bypass ipod internal DAC serve as a headphone amp as well. But why do you want to pay for an ipod if you are going to bypass its DSP down the road?

If you have not already own an ipod, there is really no point going through ipod->dac->amp route unless you absolutely need 160gb ~ 240gb storage. Especially you are using se530, no need for an amp. You will end up spending much $$ and a creepy device that looks like timing / remote tight to a brick of C4. Good luck getting on a plane with that thing in your bag. :p

Just get ipod without dac/amp for your se530. Or Cowon if you are craving a little better SG.

May 10, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 9
Actually, if you get the iPod, I doubt there's any use for a DAC.
I don't know you storage requirements, but the Sansa Clip+ has better quality than the iPod, so no external DAC is required. And its a lot cheaper and simpler to use.

May 11, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
Actually, if you get the iPod, I doubt there's any use for a DAC.
I don't know you storage requirements, but the Sansa Clip+ has better quality than the iPod, so no external DAC is required. And its a lot cheaper and simpler to use.

Opinion, fact or assumption?
wink_face.gif

May 12, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Opinion, fact or assumption?
wink_face.gif

Fact.
The Sansa Clip+ measures better in some tests, close to the iPod in others. But given the 10x cost difference, the Clip+ would be better quality.
I own two iPods btw, and no Clip+.

May 12, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
Fact.
The Sansa Clip+ measures better in some tests, close to the iPod in others. But given the 10x cost difference, the Clip+ would be better quality.

What tests and please indicate specific sources. Also which ipod (5g, classic, etc) were compared to in those tests. I have two ipod 5g's upgraded to 120 GB each with new battery. Total cost about $200 for total 240GB's. Where can I buy an used Sansa Clip of 240GB's for $20?
wink_face.gif

May 12, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #7 of 9
Just google it, its the first link, compared to the iPod Touch.

May 12, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
Fact.

Well, not talking about sound quality, the iPod Classic (or the older 5/5.5G) beats the Sansa Clip in many areas, especially when they have Rockbox. First, much better build quality and materials (no contest), larger screen, better interface and finally (and probably the most important): the capacity. The Classic might cost 10x as much as the Clip, but it has 20x as much capacity (8GB Clip vs 160GB Classic).

So, what about sound quality? I've actually owned both a Clip+ and an original Fuze. When I bought the Classic, I sold both. I prefered the sound the Classic produced (more detail, better dynamics and in general, a more spacious sound). The only reason why I see some people prefering the Clip's sound is because it sound's "softer" and more polite than the Classic. It's a much warmer, less offensive and analytical sound. But is it necessarily better? I think not.

May 12, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Well, not talking about sound quality, the iPod Classic (or the older 5/5.5G) beats the Sansa Clip in many areas, especially when they have Rockbox. First, much better build quality and materials (no contest), larger screen, better interface and finally (and probably the most important): the capacity. The Classic might cost 10x as much as the Clip, but it has 20x as much capacity (8GB Clip vs 160GB Classic).

So, what about sound quality? I've actually owned both a Clip+ and an original Fuze. When I bought the Classic, I sold both. I prefered the sound the Classic produced (more detail, better dynamics and in general, a more spacious sound). The only reason why I see some people prefering the Clip's sound is because it sound's "softer" and more polite than the Classic. It's a much warmer, less offensive and analytical sound. But is it necessarily better? I think not.

Hey the iPod is perfectly nice by many counts, I don't hold anything against it (I own the 7g Classic), and I've heard good things about Rockbox as well.
And yes, considering the capacity, the iPod doesn't have much competition. Thats why I went for it.
Measuring any device gives an indication of its build/design which should translate to performance, but audio is after all, subjective. The iPod is well designed, but for use with lower impedance IEMs and portable use, I'd consider the Sansa as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back