Finally upgrading my portable set after several years - both headphones and DAP - any recommendations?
Dec 13, 2017 at 6:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dragulievic

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

this has been regurgitated a couple of times and the same question re-occurs all the time in slightly modified versions... so here is my version: so far my portable set was a Colorfly C3 with an AKG K450.
The headphones are absolutely nothing special, I know, but I liked their portability and the replaceable cable.
I really liked the sound of the C3, in spite of the super crappy software, it lagged from time to time, etc etc. People in the know will silently nod whilst reading this. The jack connector died and the screen cracked so it is time to upgrade. I spent the last 2 weeks with reading shitloads of reviews, opinions, available options on the market, needless to say that the overabundance of information gave me a headache.

The player:
I am more or less 100% sure that I will get the Cowon Plenue D. Based on the very little info about the new J. I decided that it is not worth the "upgrade", the D is both smaller (thicker though) and has a better battery life, even though I find the battery life of the J still super nice with its +/-40h compared to the ridiculous number of hours of some flagship audiophile DAPs. The slight lag of the Plenue D reported by some people seems like a joke to me, considering my current player :D I can live with it... In a nutshell, the J seems to be the same as the D with a new design.
(I was looking at some of the Chinese players as well, I liked the Cayin N3 among others, however, I have the impression that the Cowon is a smoother player with a better UI)

The headphones:
From what I've seen so far these headphones are on the list:
Meze 99 Neo
Denon AH-MM400
Sony MDR-1R
Audio Technica ATH-MSR7
B&O H6 Gen.2

There are more headphones but I don't want to make the list too long...
Even though I don't have basically any solid background for comparison, my personal impression after reading tons of reviews is that eventually the overall experience is a pretty subjective thing and everyone prefers something else. Hence I think that basically I cannot go wrong with any of these headphones. What do you think, which one of these would be the best with the Plenue D? Or should I consider a different player/headphone? Which one?
I listen to all kinds of music, from classical (even though nowadays very seldomly) through rock, occasional pop, hip hop and wicked electronic, etc etc.
My priorities: very good, detailed sound reproduction; good soundstage, comfort, replaceable cable, portability, durability.
Coming from my current setup everything will be a big step up, especially the headphones.
What do you think, which pair of headphones should I choose and why?
Thanks a lot in advance for you time and advises!

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #2 of 4
It looks like you're on the right track for awesome.

I'll just toss in a recommendation for the Shanling M3s. Amazing player for the price. But can't say how it competes with the Cowon, as I've not had the pleasure of hearing that.

I would also urge you to aim for the Meze 99 Classics, instead of the Neo. In my Neo review I compare them extensively to the Classics. You can see which seems to fit your tastes better.

Dec 16, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #3 of 4
It looks like you're on the right track for awesome.

I'll just toss in a recommendation for the Shanling M3s. Amazing player for the price. But can't say how it competes with the Cowon, as I've not had the pleasure of hearing that.

I would also urge you to aim for the Meze 99 Classics, instead of the Neo. In my Neo review I compare them extensively to the Classics. You can see which seems to fit your tastes better.

Hey man, cheers for the recommendations! :)
In the meantime I did something contradictory, in spite of asking here for advice, I already pulled the trigger on the B&O H6s. The Meze headphones are very likely better (but then again, the question is for whom) but are bigger at the same time and I found a pretty good deal for the Beoplays, I paid 150EUR (170USD approximately) for them.
I did not buy a player yet though, I will buy it in January, I already started doing my research on the M3s :) Thanks!

Dec 16, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #4 of 4
I've heard good things about the H6. I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back