Finally up and running
Jul 27, 2013 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tony3d

New Head-Fier
[size=medium] I put together a small computer system consisting of Audioengine P4 Speakers.
http://audioengineusa.com

A Topping TP21 Tripath amp.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=310-310

A Dayton Sub 800 8" Subwoofer.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-627

I am very impressed with this setup. it's clean, very dynamic, and dead silent with no input! what more can one ask from a computer system?
[/size]
[size=medium] In my small office of 10' X 12' this little system really shines. I wasn't expecting much from this little Dayton sub, but it actually presents an impressive amount of real tight deep bass. I have it crossing over at about 100Hz, and it seems to blend quite well there with the P4's. Turned up the gain on it till I could just here it then bumped it up one tick higher. Seems very well balanced, no boom, just tight clean bass. The little Topping amp is rated at 25 watts a channel. I'm pretty confident I'm getting 10-12 clean watts out of it. That in combination with the subs 80 watts is producing sound that is certainly very high quality. Dynamics are very impressive. I'm happy so far. The sub has an auto on off circuit which seems to work quite well. Like my main system I'm going to leave the amp, and sub on 24 hours a day. Been doing that with my main system for the last 5 years with no problems at all. The Satellites are actually studio monitors finished in glossy white piano lacquer finish.The also come in solid bamboo, and Black. They have Kevlar cones, and silk dome tweeters. The little sub has a 2" voice coil, and specially treated cone.[/size]

Jul 28, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #2 of 8
I have the Indeed TA2021 t-amp, which has the same t-amp chip (although no headphone output). These are great sounding little amps :)

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #4 of 8
Yep. My sense was from my research that the Indeeds and the Toppings were in the same class, only the Indeeds are t-amps only. They don't have all the headphone amp and USB options of the various Topping models. Then the Trends seemed like they might be another step up, but more money than I wanted to spend. The Indeed also came in black, which I really like.

Good to hear that Dayton 8" works well. I've read especially good things about the SUB1200 as a great budget sub for an HT setup.

Jul 28, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
Yep. My sense was from my research that the Indeeds and the Toppings were in the same class, only the Indeeds are t-amps only. They don't have all the headphone amp and USB options of the various Topping models. Then the Trends seemed like they might be another step up, but more money than I wanted to spend. The Indeed also came in black, which I really like.

Good to hear that Dayton 8" works well. I've read especially good things about the SUB1200 as a great budget sub for an HT setup.

Hey those Indeed amps have a great build quality as well. Never saw those before. Looks as well built as the Topping. How much are they? I paid $78.99 at Parts Express. Looks like they may come out of the same factory. Didn't realize you had a link. Man thats cheaper than I paid. It's really amazing how little $$ can buy clean quality audio these days.

Jul 28, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #7 of 8
The Low limit of the P4's I think is 58hz. Don't know how accurate the scale is on the sub, but thats where it seems to blend best.My guess is they may be limiting everything above 100 hz going to the P4's.

Jul 28, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #8 of 8
Ok, hit the phase switch and way to much mid bass. Now crossing over around 70hz. Much better, and bass seems to be coming from the satellites now. Funny I have to switch phase 180 degrees out. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back