Finally tried out some cans, need a little more help please!
Feb 9, 2016 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ChriffeR

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everybody, I've been super active posting lately past week or so on some cans I wanna get, I was super un-decided so I bought 3 pairs and tried them out. I tried the DT 770's, not bad felt muddy to me also didn't like closed back but loved how comfortable they are! I tried the AKG Q701/HD598's, HD598's has some really impressive bass I loved it, but they sounded dry to me, where the AKG's felt super clear and clean, I love how clean the AKG's sound to me the treble shines, it has some decent bass nothing compared to the 598's though.

All in all, I'm happy with the AKG"s but sadly the bottom of my ear, I guess the earlobe touches the bottom of the ear pad and also seems to make my ears a little warm. The 598's were comfortable to me, but not as much as the AKG's, also personally just didn't enjoy the sound they had. I'm returning both AKG"s due to the way my earlobe sits on the earpad and it bothers me as I can feel it the whole time, the 598's due to just not really enjoying the sound they produce I do LOVE the bass though!

Are their any headphones you can recommend that sound similiar to the AKG's but maybe the earpads deeper so my ears don't rub? I love everything sound wise about the AKG's but comfort comes first personally, since I loved the way the 770's felt I may try the DT 990 Pro's. Or go all in at the HD600's!!!

Feb 9, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #2 of 15
  Hello everybody, I've been super active posting lately past week or so on some cans I wanna get, I was super un-decided so I bought 3 pairs and tried them out. I tried the DT 770's, not bad felt muddy to me also didn't like closed back but loved how comfortable they are! I tried the AKG Q701/HD598's, HD598's has some really impressive bass I loved it, but they sounded dry to me, where the AKG's felt super clear and clean, I love how clean the AKG's sound to me the treble shines, it has some decent bass nothing compared to the 598's though.

All in all, I'm happy with the AKG"s but sadly the bottom of my ear, I guess the earlobe touches the bottom of the ear pad and also seems to make my ears a little warm. The 598's were comfortable to me, but not as much as the AKG's, also personally just didn't enjoy the sound they had. I'm returning both AKG"s due to the way my earlobe sits on the earpad and it bothers me as I can feel it the whole time, the 598's due to just not really enjoying the sound they produce I do LOVE the bass though!

Are their any headphones you can recommend that sound similiar to the AKG's but maybe the earpads deeper so my ears don't rub? I love everything sound wise about the AKG's but comfort comes first personally, since I loved the way the 770's felt I may try the DT 990 Pro's. Or go all in at the HD600's!!!

What's the budget?

Feb 9, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #4 of 15
I'm also using a sound blaster z to power the headphones, although I may switch to an external source for similiar price (100) because on all three headphones I get hissing/white noise

Feb 9, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #7 of 15
Could be a connection, could be a sound card, could be a lot of things. Whatever it is, I honestly don't know how you can be auditioning headphones with that sort of background noise. You are going to have to get it fixed. That said, one other can you might want to look at is the Fidelio X2. You may need to find one used, as the price of the X2 has recently soared. If you can stretch your budget, I'd say look at the HiFiMAN HE 400s, but not sure where your ceiling is. Hard to beat the cans you looked at (the open ones) at that price-point. Not sure if you can do better without spending more. Good luck with that hissing and noise!

Feb 9, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #12 of 15
My other choices to trial out are, AD900x / DT 990 Pro 250 ohm, that are in my price-range other than that I'd have to raise my budget up to $250-300 and I REALLY don't want too :p

Feb 9, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #13 of 15
  I think if I were to buy the HIfiman 400s, I would just buy the HD600's as its the same price.

Maybe you should do that.
ksc75smile.gif
 Get what you want and be done with it.

Feb 9, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #14 of 15
  I have not, but I've been told the HD600's are king.

I don't have as much experience as others here on the forum, but for similarly priced headphones I think much of it comes down to what you prefer and how your ears work.  One person's ears and preferences may differ from another's ears.    Between those two, I think one is a cone driver and other is a planer and they are difference companies so there will likely be some differences. 

Feb 9, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #15 of 15
Yeah that's very true! I actually love these AKG Q701's after listening to them more, I just wish I took into consideration these bumps on the headband their rather uncomfortable! If only I could get some AKG's with the bass from the 598's and the rest like these Q701's! LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back