Finally time to get my digital camera.
Dec 30, 2004 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

enzoferrari650

Headphoneus Supremus
A while back I was asking for suggestions on a digital camera that would replace my canon s200 2mp. I asked for something under 400 dollars. I have finally saved enough money and would like to purchase something up to 600 dollars. Ever since dj got his FZ20, I've been really jealous and I am really considering getting it. Can anyone give me reasons not to get the FZ20? I would like something thats easy enough to use but with lots of manual features. Size is not that much of an issue, the FZ20 is acceptable size. Something that can take great outdoor scenery shots, as well as macro. I would also hope the camera can take good night shots as well. The FZ20 seems to fit my criteria. Any suggestions?

Dec 30, 2004 at 2:31 PM Post #3 of 46
thanks for the help, but unfortunately, those are the two sites I used for almost all my research.
tongue.gif

Dec 30, 2004 at 2:40 PM Post #4 of 46
Lumix are really nice cameras (I'm considering buying fz15 as well, afaik the only difference between it and fz20 is one less megapizel and $100 in price level
biggrin.gif
). If you've read both steve and dpreviews than you already know biggest pitfalls of the camera
-visible noise at ISO>100 (ISO400 is unusable IMO)
-in rapid-shoot mode EVF/LCD do not work making continuous shots difficult
-indoor shots aren't as good as outdoor (not really an issue IMO as why buy the camera if you do all your shooting inside your apartment
rolleyes.gif
)

Dec 30, 2004 at 2:49 PM Post #5 of 46
Explain ISO to me. I am a total photography noob but I definitely would like to start learning. I know it has to do with shutter speed but what exactly do the numbers mean. As for indoors, it would still do a considerably better job than my cannon s200 2megapixel camera right? What is not as good about the indoor photos with this camera? Is there a lot of noise?

Dec 30, 2004 at 3:04 PM Post #6 of 46
Reread both reviews more carefully, they've got tons of usefull information if you read every single word. ISO is basically a sensetivety setting, higher ISO means little more detail, but more noise on the picture, lower ISO means no noise but slightly blurry pictures. If you need examples between two, go to dpreview, find two pictures in the gallery, one with ISO 80-100 and another with 400 and compare. Problem with indoors? I don't have fz15 yet and it's still a pretty big jump for me to buy something this expensive that I won't use as much, but according to the forums the white balance is off, basically the camera gets confused in low light. But since you can always adjust settings manually it shouldn't be a big problem.

Dec 30, 2004 at 3:20 PM Post #7 of 46
sounds good. It's defenitely tempting. I doubt I can wait much longer. If no one convinces me to that something else is more suitable for my uses, at a similar price, than I think I'm gonna order one of these.

Dec 30, 2004 at 4:13 PM Post #8 of 46
Well, I'm not going to convince you otherwise because this is basically the same camera I've set my eyes upon.
biggrin.gif
Like I said though, its biggest drawback is low light photography where the camera does not perform as good and where you need higher ISO setting so your pictures will appear a little grainy. I would have also really liked if EVF/LCD worked in continous shooting mode like in professional SLRs, because otherwise it is impossible to use both the rapid shoot mode with zoom.

There are other cameras that come close to fz15/20 in terms of features and value, like Fuji s5100, Canon Powershot S1 IS, Dimage Z3 and Kodak C-xxx ultrazoom lineup. These cameras offer similar features and are similarly priced, if you're not sure about panasonic, check those out.

BTW, if you have $600 on camera alone, you can probably check out Canon Digital Rebel with a 18-55 lens (I believe). If you're lucky you can get it for only $650 after $100 MIR. Oh yeah, digital photography can be just as expensive as headphone gear
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 30, 2004 at 5:48 PM Post #9 of 46
Dec 31, 2004 at 12:52 AM Post #12 of 46
I just got their little brother the Fz3, and if you can live with a plastic body and no manual focus (and less MP of course) I think it is really the way to go. MUCH smaller than the other two, considerably less expensive, and there is a $50 rebate right now on it I believe (there also was one for another free battery/bag but thats over now). If I had the money I probably would have sprung for the FZ20 but the smaller size of the FZ3 really makes a difference for me on how much I take it out.

Dec 31, 2004 at 1:17 AM Post #13 of 46
Does anyone who own the FZ20 find that its a hassle to take out or bring on a trip? I hear it's pretty light. Is the size acceptable.

Dec 31, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #14 of 46
i have a Canon Powershot S500 Digital Elph. cant complain about size and quality (stainless steel). i really like the Macro shots of this camera. i took a picture of my custom canare cable with techflex under low light, and the picture showed every single thread of the techflex clearly, kinda creepy. but thats just my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back