Finally, the new Sony 64gb A Series in the USA!!!
Jul 13, 2011 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

tds101

Formerly known as nywytboy68

​

[size=medium]Quote:[/size]

[size=medium]Sony prepping for Walkman refresh
[/size]

​
 ​
[size=medium]Sony is preparing to launch an update for several of its high-end Walkman devices, according to  filed last week by the company.
[/size]
[size=medium]The unannounced music players include models in the Walkman A and S series, which have had advanced features in the past such as an OLED screen, long battery life, and noise-cancelling technology. The Japanese company often refreshes its line of portable music players around this time each year.
[/size]
[size=medium]What is most surprising could be the introduction of the Walkman A series in the U.S., as it sold in other major territories around the world for several years but has been missing stateside for several product cycles.
[/size]
[size=medium]What we know is that Sony will offer four models of the luxury audio/video player: NWZ-A864 (8GB), NWZ-A865 (16GB), NWZ-A866 (32GB), and NWZ-A867 (64GB). The A867 would be the highest-capacity PMP Sony has ever offered in North America.
[/size]
[size=medium]CNET has also learned that the refreshed A860 series Walkman will feature a large OLED touch screen, noise-cancelling technology, and integrated Bluetooth 2.0. There is no indication that Wi-Fi will be integrated.
[/size]
[size=medium]Surprisingly, this will not be the fabled  Walkman, as the FCC documents note the integrated CPU will be underwhelming. It will most likely have the same user interface as past Walkman devices, and also have six buttons on the right side of the unit. Several colors will be available for the series, including black, white, pink, and other shades available across the various models, the documents show.
[/size]
 ​
[size=medium]As for the S Series, things are a little less clear. Sony's  note that there will be two versions: NWZ-S764 (8GB), and NWZ-S765 (16GB). The refreshed S will have a LCD screen, audio and video playback, and have Bluetooth 2.0. Expect a range of colors including black, white, and violet.
[/size]
[size=medium]Pricing for each variant of the A and S series have been discovered through Amazon, which accidentally jumped the gun and posted the prices online. The 8GB A864 will be $225; the 16GB A865 will go for $267, the 32GB A866 for $352, and the 64GB A867 for $494. Meanwhile, the more budget-friendly S series 8GB S764 will likely cost $182, and the 16GB will come in at $211.
[/size]
[size=medium]It's worth noting these are direct currency conversions from the euro, which do not reflect potential pricing in the U.S.
[/size]

Read more C/O Engadget: ​
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20079142-1/sony-prepping-for-walkman-refresh/?tag=mncol;title

Jul 13, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 64
I am officially glad I DIDN'T get one of the Samsung Galaxy 4 or 5 players,...I prefer me Sony!!!

Jul 14, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #5 of 64
Something to replace my Walkman X with (though I don't know how an A will compare to the X, the X is a beast) My Lisa III XP will be waiting with its custom Walkman LOD for it!

Jul 14, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #6 of 64
This is great news, hopefully it will land in Europe as well

But, $494 for 64GB? That's a bit to heavy in my opinion!

Jul 14, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #7 of 64
At last. I hope this means A Series has taken over the top-end and there will not be any X Series models anymore I reckon.

Time to start saving money for the new A Series.

Jul 14, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #8 of 64
^not a fan of the X I take it

Jul 14, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #9 of 64

the X has actually been phased out for several months...so you won't have to worry about the A competing with it. 
Quote:
At last. I hope this means A Series has taken over the top-end and there will not be any X Series models anymore I reckon.

Time to start saving money for the new A Series.

I just really hope it happens.  The S series has needed a refresh for a long time.  the S75x series came out around the world last Sept but never made it's way here for some reason.  Good find though nywytboy68. I have always been a fan of the S series, but I might have to save up for the A series.  Guess we'll see as more info becomes available. 

Jul 14, 2011 at 5:57 AM Post #10 of 64
The X series hasn't been on sale officially in Europe for well over a year now, and it appears the US is the only country that kept the model for much longer.

Both the new S and A are coming to the US, along with the new E series. Disregard the pricing that CNET posted, they just converted euro prices into US

debut should be soon with the devices at IFA 2011.

Jul 14, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #11 of 64
Why not replace the X series as well?   Why? why? why?

You produce the best sounding MP3 player of  all the times, and not continue to do so..... I guess Ipod Touch is the reason for no refresh on X? They probably intruduced the X series as an alternative for ituch and found out that nothıing was close to it except its sound quality....oh well, still a loss in my book.

Should have continued to renew the X series....yep...you loose me on this one Sony...so long...

Jul 14, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #13 of 64

Quote:
Why not replace the X series as well?   Why? why? why?

You produce the best sounding MP3 player of  all the times, and not continue to do so..... I guess Ipod Touch is the reason for no refresh on X? They probably intruduced the X series as an alternative for ituch and found out that nothıing was close to it except its sound quality....oh well, still a loss in my book.

Should have continued to renew the X series....yep...you loose me on this one Sony...so long...

Exactly! I would love to see a new X Series walkman.

If the new A Series is really good I will be ok with that too.

Quote:
^not a fan of the X I take it

Just the opposite. I have had my X-1060 and have been oping for something new, with great SQ and a lot of storage, as well as a touchscreen and all that.

Quote:
the X has actually been phased out for several months...so you won't have to worry about the A competing with it. 

And I was the lucky one getting it at the end of its life-cycle for just 175GBP.

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #14 of 64
Well, I never liked the A845 but the S75 series is certainly good. Here's hoping Sony have improved things further, and not just for the US.

Jul 14, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #15 of 64
Guys those prices are converted Euros. We'll probably have them priced at (guesstimate from looking at those prices) $149 for the 8, $179 for the 16, $229 for the 32, and $299 for the 64.

I'm holding out for one with Android myself, but this looks pretty awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back