FSLO-1078638047-235801.JPG

FSLO-1078638017-319233.JPG

FSLO-1078637685-684135.JPG

FSLO-1078637635-827916.JPG

FSLO-1078637561-243619.JPG

FSLO-1078637525-290938.JPG

FSLO-1078638067-215236.JPG

OK, my thoughts.

I am using the 12EA6A tubes, I like the way they sound compared to the 12FM6.

I don't like Ratshack silver solder

If you are going to mount this amp in a case such as above, RELOCATE THE BIAS ADJUSTERS!!!!!! i had to desolder everything so i could get to them after i first completed this amp 2 weeks ago. So i got smart and made and wired them to the board instead of soldering them to the board.

I used Kimber RCA jacks

I used Angela 7 pin sockets for the tubes.

my 1/8"-->1/4" adapter works awesome.

I used and Alps Blue Velvet Pot and a Neutrik 1/4" jack

This amp is really good with the AKG 271's. My MINT wasn't powerful enough to drive them properly.

TROUBLESHOOTING TIPS:
1. if when you first power it up, the sound is loud, then gets really soft, it is because your BIAS needs to be adjusted. I have it set to 15V right now, and the sound is pretty good out of my AKG 271's. I have some more adjusting to do though.

Mar 7, 2004 at 10:04 AM Post #2 of 22
Great job on your Millett. Very "sanitary", as they used to say in the old days. The silver case is very nice, too. A classy look, all around.

So, have you compared it to other amps besides the MINT?

D.

Mar 7, 2004 at 4:23 PM Post #3 of 22
I don't have any other amps to compare it too.

I like the way it sounds with my AKG's so I am pleased.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2004 at 6:08 PM Post #4 of 22
Nice case, wher did you get it?

Scott

Mar 7, 2004 at 6:22 PM Post #5 of 22
I want to know 3 things.

1)did you try the wall wart pete had listed in his parts list. And if so, did you like it okay.

2)How much was your total cost

3)IF I do decide to build one and I run into some problems, could you help me troubleshoot?

Thanks
C

Mar 7, 2004 at 7:44 PM Post #6 of 22
nice job... a lot cleaner than the black plastic tub that the project specifies. mine's rotting in that right now... i should probably case it up, but i've also been meaning to get to a cavalli morgan jones or a bruce bender one of these days, so that has sort of caused a stalemate. also, right now i'm working on some MINTs.

mine actually comes up with a weird sort of hum that peaks and fades in each of the channels at different times. i'd figure out what it is, but it's very pleasant and goes away after 15 seconds... it sounds sort of like the french horn section of an orchestra tuning up (both channels hit the same "note"). this has persisted thru a little tube rolling, so it's something else. i like it though; i'm going to keep it that way.
wink.gif

how's that elpac treating you? i just got the stock one pete suggested...

i agree with you about the 12AE6As... i have them in right now. unfortunately, one of them's failing... it makes a low fuzzy sound that i can get rid of by flicking it a couple times. time to order some new tubes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2004 at 7:50 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Sync
1)did you try the wall wart pete had listed in his parts list. And if so, did you like it okay.

i'm using that one... it's making me think there might be some benefit to having something a bit more beefy. but i haven't tried anything, so i can't compare it to anything.

Quote:

i think i came in at about $150, but i sprung for the CD-ROM with the article on it, which is not really necessary. also, i didn't do any parts substitution, which means i had to pay shipping from four vendors for parts + the board + the cd.

Quote:

3)IF I do decide to build one and I run into some problems, could you help me troubleshoot?

surely. but i think this is a pretty easy project and it would be hard to mess up unless you make a bad solder joint or toast a part with too much heat. i really nuked everything except for the buffers to make sure i had no cold solder joints, and nothing died on me, though. just take your time and you'll be fine.
smily_headphones1.gif
i should add that my previous projects that required soldering included a robot i built in 7th grade that never worked and a guitar that took a few tries to get the hum out of... i'm no soldering super genius by any means.

Mar 8, 2004 at 1:22 AM Post #8 of 22
WOW!!!

Can you give me the link to websites that helped you complete this amplifier?

Does it have any hum with low impedance cans?

Do you think it can drive the Senn HD600/650's ??

Can you help me with this amp? I know you will but I just want to make it official
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 8, 2004 at 1:29 AM Post #9 of 22
i want to answer all your questions now, but i will try to respond in the next hour, i got to go to work now, and i can answer questions from work.

Mar 8, 2004 at 2:15 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by scottder
Nice case, wher did you get it?

Scott

Hammond 1444-16(top) w/ 1434-16(bottom)

i got it from digikey when i made my digikey order

Mar 8, 2004 at 2:30 AM Post #11 of 22
Sync,

i Didn't, i just decided to go for a higher quality one from the start. I like this one it does just fine. I am sure the one Pete Suggests is just fine as well though.

i think around 235.00-245.00 w/ shipping. BUT that is because i used:
1. kimber RCA jacks @ 30.00/pair
2. Power supply @ 35.00
3. Alps Blue Velvet Volume @ 15.00
4. Neutrik 1/4" jack @ 5.00
5. Angela tube sockets @ 10.00/pair
6. Hammond case @ 20.00

so if you don't use upgraded/different parts like i did, you can get by for about 115.00 less

I doubt i really improved the sound much by using these parts, and i didn't shop very efficiently. I could have probably gotten a lot of the same parts from the same vendors and cut out one of the companies from the ordering.

YES!

Mar 8, 2004 at 2:34 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by esquilax
nice job... a lot cleaner than the black plastic tub that the project specifies. mine's rotting in that right now.......

mine actually comes up with a weird sort of hum that peaks and fades in each of the channels at different times......

how's that elpac treating you? i just got the stock one pete suggested...

i agree with you about the 12AE6As... i have them in right now. unfortunately, one of them's failing... it makes a low fuzzy sound that i can get rid of by flicking it a couple times. time to order some new tubes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry i shortened the quote...

anyway,
I like the case, it makes it look nice next to my monitor
biggrin.gif

The volume is even all the way around, so that is kinda weird from yours
confused.gif

new tubes are only a coupla bucks. i am probably gonna order some spares some time soon
rolleyes.gif

Mar 8, 2004 at 2:37 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by esquilax

surely. but i think this is a pretty easy project and it would be hard to mess up unless you make a bad solder joint or toast a part with too much heat. i really nuked everything

This was the second time i cased it up because i used Ratshack silver solder and it is a bitch to work with
mad.gif
I had so many cold solder joints, i was not very happy at all
mad.gif

just take your time on the soldering.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2004 at 2:38 AM Post #14 of 22
There are also a few good threads in the archives related to this amp.

It's a very nice amp -- one of the few that's on the darker side of neutral, so it matches very well with Grados.

One suggestion -- if you're building this amp, consider leaving out capacitors C4 and C13. Or at least build it first without them, or with sockets for them, and experiment with leaving them out. The soundstage will improve (not that the soundstage is bad to begin with).

Edit: Also, try to avoid Radio Shack silver solder. It's no good for beginners, because the melting temperature is higher than normal and because it's not eutectic, meaning it's easier to create cold solder joints. You can order Kester 2% silver solder from either DigiKey or Mouser when you place your order.

Mar 8, 2004 at 2:51 AM Post #15 of 22
gsferrari,
Can you give me the link to websites that helped you complete this amplifier?

sites are:
http://www.pmillett.addr.com/hybrid_head.htm
http://www.tubesandmore.com/
http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=home/
http://www.welbornelabs.com/parts.htm
http://www.digi-key.com/
http://www.angela.com/
http://www.audioxpress.com/magsdirx/ax/index.htm

Call audio express, and order the November 2002 isssure or you can just order the CD-rom for 2002 too.

Does it have any hum with low impedance cans?

The phones i have used it with are 55 ohms, and they don't hum

Do you think it can drive the Senn HD600/650's ??

i think Pete used those in his tests, i don't have the article right now, but i do believe he did

Can you help me with this amp? I know you will but I just want to make it official
very_evil_smiley.gif

YES!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back