FINALLY, the grado sr325is have arrived! (first impression review)
Oct 14, 2011 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

aljonn30

Head-Fier
After the much anticipation i finally got my new phones, the grado sr325is.  Ive read tons of reviews before purchasing and while waiting for them to arrive.  The reviews seemed very polarized where its either people loved them or hated them.  The people who didnt like them went on and on about sibilance and how theyre harsh and this worried me considering ive never had the chance to hear grados before.  

Luckily to my ears, after my first listen, they sound awesome.  Very airy, detailed and not harsh unlike what most people say.  Perhaps they get more sibilant after burn in?  But i guess ill find that out.  Even on some of my most treble oriented songs, the headphones sounded controlled and detailed without any harshness, not to mention they feel comfortable on my head and im still listening to them after about 40 minutes without feeling discomfort.  

If I am hearing the famous or infamous grado sound, i must say I am now a grado lover.  The treble is definately presented very forward and the bass is deep and tight. The instrument separation is awesome and despite sounding a little flat, the detail and sound signature is definately favourable to my ears.

I am planning on using them at the school and the only problem i can foresee would be the gigantic cable and the sound leak, but these have been mentioned in other reviews.  Overall i am very satisfied with the purchase and as most grado prestige owners im interested in listening to the rs series.  However if the rs1 is warmer sounding, i have a feeling id still prefer the sound of the 325is as these sound perfect to me and any added warmth will seem to decrease its energetic sound.

Oct 14, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #2 of 14

Quote:
After the much anticipation i finally got my new phones, the grado sr325is.  Ive read tons of reviews before purchasing and while waiting for them to arrive.  The reviews seemed very polarized where its either people loved them or hated them.  The people who didnt like them went on and on about sibilance and how theyre harsh and this worried me considering ive never had the chance to hear grados before.  

Luckily to my ears, after my first listen, they sound awesome.  Very airy, detailed and not harsh unlike what most people say.  Perhaps they get more sibilant after burn in?  But i guess ill find that out.  Even on some of my most treble oriented songs, the headphones sounded controlled and detailed without any harshness, not to mention they feel comfortable on my head and im still listening to them after about 40 minutes without feeling discomfort.  

If I am hearing the famous or infamous grado sound, i must say I am now a grado lover.  The treble is definately presented very forward and the bass is deep and tight. The instrument separation is awesome and despite sounding a little flat, the detail and sound signature is definately favourable to my ears.

I am planning on using them at the school and the only problem i can foresee would be the gigantic cable and the sound leak, but these have been mentioned in other reviews.  Overall i am very satisfied with the purchase and as most grado prestige owners im interested in listening to the rs series.  However if the rs1 is warmer sounding, i have a feeling id still prefer the sound of the 325is as these sound perfect to me and any added warmth will seem to decrease its energetic sound.

Outstanding man ~ you're going to use them at school! and here I was thinking that I was the sole nutter brave
enough to bring them out into the open 
biggrin.gif

Just remember, invest in the Beyer Dynamic DT770 headband for extra support as they tend to move around
when you're walking about.

Oct 14, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #3 of 14
these fit snug on my head so i think theyll be fine for now.  If the head band gets looser then i might consider getting a new headband pad.  but i will gladly show these off in public, i think they look awesome!

Oct 14, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #4 of 14
BTW im wondering what songs do people consider harsh with these headphones, im really curious if its just the way im hearing them or if my songs just too tame lol.  i also cant seem to get these off my head
gs1000.gif

Oct 14, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #5 of 14
try listening to female vocals or live concerts and see if you hear the harshness. To me, the sr325i was never harsh, it had the best clarity of all the grados i've own. As for the RS series, i can definitely tell you that the added warmth will not lose its energetic sound. 

Quote:
BTW im wondering what songs do people consider harsh with these headphones, im really curious if its just the way im hearing them or if my songs just too tame lol.  i also cant seem to get these off my head
gs1000.gif

Oct 14, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
gs1000.gif

Might not be to your taste but try sourcing a few songs from the 1970's mod rock band
'Joy Division'

Namely, the tracks :- Transmission, She's Lost Control & Isolation.

See if they're harsh.

Oct 14, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #7 of 14
Tron Legacy soundtrack can also be a little hot too..

Oct 14, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #8 of 14
i think joy division is awesome.  These have been sitting on my head for almost 2 hours and i stopped playing music just to see if ill get uncomfortable.  While there is some discomfort it went away once i started playing music again lol

Oct 14, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
try listening to female vocals or live concerts and see if you hear the harshness. To me, the sr325i was never harsh, it had the best clarity of all the grados i've own. As for the RS series, i can definitely tell you that the added warmth will not lose its energetic sound.  

are they clearer than the rs series

Oct 14, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #10 of 14
My main objection to the 325is is that I feel I could have done better for the price I paid here in Oz, but it was my decision and no-one held a gun to my head. I will be interested to see how you go with the bowls, tho - I persevered for an hour or two then put in an order for the 414s.

Oct 14, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #11 of 14
i had the sr325i with the jumbo pads so it did push out the treble even more. Based on clarity, i do think the sr325i is clearer than my RS1 but the Rs1 has more balance and control. Every song I play can go well with the RS1, but this might not apply to the sr325i imo.

Quote:
are they clearer than the rs series

Oct 15, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #12 of 14
Finally listened to a whole album after just listening to random songs to see how they sound.  This first album was Diamond Eyes by Deftones and i was impressed.  The ambience of the songs, the change in rhythm and pace throughout the whole album complemented the 325is' sound wonderfully.  Cant wait to hear them with my other albums

Oct 15, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #13 of 14
I've had the Grado 325is for several months.  I have about 60 hours on them.  They sounded a bit distant when I first got them but after just a couple hours, they started sounding great.  The only thing I've ever heard that sounded harsh was The Editors "In This Light and On This Evening".  Sibilance was a major issue there.  Otherwise, I've loved the forward detailed sound of the 325is.  Guitars just come to life with these. 

Dec 4, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #14 of 14
Have had my sr325is for short time. Maybe 25 hours on them.  Very, very impressed. A significant step up from the sr60i and the sr80i (either I would recommend without reservation). If there is a criticism on the 325is, it's that it's very revealing on poor recordings. Which is, in fact, not a criticism at all. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back