Finally taking the plunge...
Jan 5, 2014 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

coachharpo

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, My name is Kevin and I'm new to the site and a beginner in audio. I've been reading a lot on this site the last week or so and am almost ready to pull the trigger on what to me are expensive headphones. I would like a little help in determining whether or not these would be good for me, and maybe throw some other suggestions my way.

I'm looking at the sennheiser momentum. I really don't want to go over my $300 budget and these seem to be a quality hp. This would be my first set of full size hps as I currently have the shure se215. They are great for my needs, but I really want some more quality to my music. I enjoy good quality bass with the least distortion. I listen mostly to rap, but enjoy a wide variety of other genres. I will mostly be using these on bus trips with the team as I am a coach. Noise cancellation is a big thing to me so I can get a little peace on the bus (se215 are great at this). Any advice you can give would appreciated. Thanks

Jan 5, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #2 of 46
Traditional greeting:

Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet...

Sounds like a great choice! My only caution is that you may not get as much isolation from the closed, over-ear cans as you have been enjoying from your SE215 IEMs.

Jan 5, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #4 of 46
The Momentum is a great headphone, especially if you're going to be listening off of a phone. Love those cans. Another route to take might be a set of the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro and a nice solid state amp. You could get both for the price of the Momentum, and as far as just a straight up listening experience goes it'll be better if you're willing to lose the portability. 

Jan 5, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 46
Thanks for the replies. I haven't considered the dt990 or the hd25. I need to research both. I should have mentioned my source is the samsung s4. In the market for a used ipod though since no hp makers think Android exists. What about the m-100? Is the nc any good?

Jan 5, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #7 of 46
And if you're going to be playing music from your phone then I would recommend the M-100 over the DT990, as the 990 requires an amp to really hear properly. The M-100 has a significant bass emphasis, but I don't think that's a bad thing for when I'm on the go. Hell, when I'm just bumping tunes off my phone I even break out Beats from time to time if I'm in a Denzel Curry or Skrillex sorta mood. The M-100s are totally great for mobile use IMO, but I hate how they look personally. 

Jan 5, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #8 of 46
I like how they look personally. I also like how the momentum look. Looks are a little important to me seeing as though I have to listen to the kids talk about how ugly my hps are and how only beats look good (which I have nothing against). Do the m-100s cancel noise as well as momentums?

Jan 5, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #9 of 46
I like how they look personally. I also like how the momentum look. Looks are a little important to me seeing as though I have to listen to the kids talk about how ugly my hps are and how only beats look good (which I have nothing against). Do the m-100s cancel noise as well as momentums?

As far as isolation and noise cancellation goes I really just don't pay much attention to that in headphones. I play my music generally loud enough that I don't hear what's happening around me anyway, so I really can't say... They both seem fine to me. 

Jan 5, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #11 of 46
Yeah, the Momentum is my favorite of the bunch as well in terms of sound, looks, build quality, and comfort. So yeah they're pretty much the best in every way haha, to me anyway. 

Jan 5, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #12 of 46
Sorry but I have no idea what v shaped signature means. All I know is the se215 have zero bass. I really like them for what they do, but I'd like to be reacquainted with hps that can produce bass.

Jan 5, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #15 of 46
I'm personally not a fan of IEMs whatsoever. Never used a single pair (and I've tried many) that don't make the insides of my ears uncomfortable. I guess I'm not the best person to give an opinion haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back