Finally saved for something mid/high-end, any recommendations?
Apr 3, 2012 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Mgear

Head-Fier
I've recently saved enough money to buy something relatively good with a budget of $500-750, $750 being the maximum I can go.
Unfortunately I don't have a very powerful amplifier, just a FiiO E10 that I've had for a year or so, I do love it though, but I've been told to get the best headphone I can get now and then scale it with an amplifier late on, rather than spend $300 on a headphone and an amplifier which won't scale as well into the high end.

I've had my eyes on a second hand (from the classifieds) LCD-2 or a new HD650, however the HD650 doesn't look as luxurious as the LCD-2 however I have heard it scales extremely well, but I'm still unsure. My music preferences are very varied so going for neutral with a little warmth is a safe bet but everything is on the table, there's a lot of choice at this price so it's a little daunting, the only headphone I'm not interested in is the D7000 after hearing it, I was not very impressed, plus I'd prefer an open headphone.

Thanks a lot, all the best.

Apr 3, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #4 of 11
Sorry don't know about it but read that they are much easier to drive than HE-6. Have no clue why you don't like D5000 cause i'm enjoying mine  when driven by headphones amp built-in into Xonar STX without any external one and now waiting for D7000 to check if they worth a little bit more money

Apr 3, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
Sorry don't know about it but read that they are much easier to drive than HE-6. Have no clue why you don't like D5000 cause i'm enjoying mine  when driven by headphones amp built-in into Xonar STX without any external one and now waiting for D7000 to check if they worth a little bit more money

With it being closed and generally a little loose on the low end I wasn't very satisfied, I'm more looking for something with fantastic mids which is why my first choice was the LCD-2.

Apr 3, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
With it being closed and generally a little loose on the low end I wasn't very satisfied, I'm more looking for something with fantastic mids which is why my first choice was the LCD-2.

HE-500's have a much more natural-sounding mids than LCD-2's, which have a more lush (which is a slight colouration that many favour but is, of course, still a colouration) mids. In fact not many cans save for the very top ones like HE-6's and electrostats have mids that are on the level of naturalness to HE-500's.

The specialty of LCD-2's that nothing short of LCD-3's could match is bass.

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #7 of 11
hd 650 scales very well, very similar to lcd-2 but a tad warmer and more bass impact. imaging and detail are less but the hd 650 on a good amp comes really close to the lcd-2 performance. the lcd-2 is still on another level though.

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
I've recently saved enough money to buy something relatively good with a budget of $500-750, $750 being the maximum I can go.
Unfortunately I don't have a very powerful amplifier, just a FiiO E10 that I've had for a year or so, I do love it though, but I've been told to get the best headphone I can get now and then scale it with an amplifier late on, rather than spend $300 on a headphone and an amplifier which won't scale as well into the high end.

I've had my eyes on a second hand (from the classifieds) LCD-2 or a new HD650, however the HD650 doesn't look as luxurious as the LCD-2 however I have heard it scales extremely well, but I'm still unsure. My music preferences are very varied so going for neutral with a little warmth is a safe bet but everything is on the table, there's a lot of choice at this price so it's a little daunting, the only headphone I'm not interested in is the D7000 after hearing it, I was not very impressed, plus I'd prefer an open headphone.

Thanks a lot, all the best.

Heya,

I would try to save a wee bit more and go big. You could get a Hifiman HE-500 and something like the NFB12.1 for $900 new. Used would let you get in closer to your budget, but more difficult to find.

Either that, or I would just suggest something like the HD650 with a much better amplifier, Beyer DT990 with a better amplifier.

Or you can just go Hifiman HE-400 with your current setup. And I'd highly recommend it.

Very best,

Apr 4, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #9 of 11

Quote:

Heya,

I would try to save a wee bit more and go big. You could get a Hifiman HE-500 and something like the NFB12.1 for $900 new. Used would let you get in closer to your budget, but more difficult to find.

Either that, or I would just suggest something like the HD650 with a much better amplifier, Beyer DT990 with a better amplifier.

Or you can just go Hifiman HE-400 with your current setup. And I'd highly recommend it.

Very best,

Hey Mal by chance I saw you tried to buy the HE400's off wje, did you end up getting them?

Apr 4, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #10 of 11
The HD 650 is a better value, has better reputation and reliability than lcd2 and it scale very well! I use it with a tube amp and it's the bomb!
Best comfort, better sound in my eye too. Find a good deal on the HD 650 and you can buy a good amp to go with it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back